UKC

Odd front wheel issue/noise. Any ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 03 Dec 2015
The bike in question:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/indie-drop-2-2013-road-bike-ec041...

The issue:

Came to work yesterday morning, no problems (apart from fat/weak/headwind).

Setting off home after work, immediately on setting off there was a high speed (multiple clicks per second), irregular clicking sort of noise coming from around the area of the front hub, almost like a cross between clicking & a grinding creak. It was pretty loud.

The speed of clicking was very irregular, so not like something catching in the spokes.

I got off the bike & span the wheel - silence, it rotated freely, nothing visibly wrong.

Carried on, and after about a mile the noise stopped in the space of a few yards. A couple of miles later it started again. After another mile it stopped & was silent for the rest of the journey.

This morning - same noise from the start, so I turned back & got on one of my other bikes.

Any suggestions? I'll be having it to bits at the weekend, but in the mean time....

Cheers
Chris
 JamButty 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:

sounds like limited grease in the bearings to me, or a simple one - have you got a bike computer - is it catching on the spokes when weighted?
 Doug Hughes 03 Dec 2015

I've had a similar intermittent noise in the rear wheel hub. Turned out that there was no grease around the bearings, almost certainly caused by some idiot (me) degreasing the chain too aggressively and letting the degreaser get into the hub. Lesson learned. I'm not saying you would be this stupid, and it's less likely to happen on the front wheel, but it might still point to a bearing problem.
OP Chris Harris 03 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

> sounds like limited grease in the bearings to me, or a simple one - have you got a bike computer - is it catching on the spokes when weighted?

From my OP:

"The speed of clicking was very irregular, so not like something catching in the spokes. "

My assumption is a bearing issue. I had one crack a few years ago & it chewed up all the others pretty sharpish - when I got home & opened it up there was just a pile of shrapnel in there.
I'm hoping this is something a bit less extreme!

demdyke 04 Dec 2015

Ball bearings definitely. Change them immediately or else you'll be looking for a new wheel.
OP Chris Harris 04 Dec 2015

I'm going to strip & rebuild it at the weekend. Be interesting to find what lurks within...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...