UKC

gps newcomer - please point me in the right direction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the abmmc 08 Dec 2015
Hello the combined knowledge of UKC/UKH. My wife bought me a garmin etrex 30x for my birthday, and I'm now wondering if I can install my memory maps in some way onto it. I have spent best part of a day searching for how to do this, but getting totally lost and more confused. I think I'm going to have to convert the maps data into some other format so that the Garmin can read them, is that right? And if it is, how do I go about doing this? I'm from the generation that didn't have computers in my high school, so not too tech savvy. Here's hoping that out there is someone who can help me. Or even provide a link to something simple that can walk me through it.

To show how confused I am, does this actually matter? I'll still be carrying my printed out paper maps and will generally know where I am...........but if I could put the maps onto the gps, that would be great!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Tom
In reply to the abmmc:

One problem with digital mapping devices, especially those using OS mapping, is that the OS insist on unique digital rights management (DRM) systems being applied to their mapping. So, having paid an arm and a leg for mapping from one of the map tool suppliers (Memory Map, for instance), that mapping cannot be used with any other vendor's tools (Garmin, for instance). A crap situation, IMHO.

So, no, it's very unlikely that you will be able to load the Memory Map map tiles onto the Garmin. If you want mapping on the Garmin, you'll have to buy it all again (£200 for full OSGB 1:50k)...

What you should be able to do is transfer routes between Garmin and Memory Map.

https://www.memory-map.co.uk/support/114527-What-Garmin-GPS-units-are-compa...

I think you can at least use MM mapping with an MM app on a smartphone.
OP the abmmc 08 Dec 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks Captain. Exactly the sort of information I hoped I could find on here. Yup, pretty peeved to have spend £££ on memory map full UK and now finding that Garmin would like me to do the same, for the same mapping. If we ever meet up, I'll buy you a pint.

I was looking at openmtbmap, but not sure at all about that. I know that some tech savvy people will be out there saying this is easy and not a problem at all, but I don't know any.

Tom

In reply to the abmmc:

> now finding that Garmin would like me to do the same

To be fair, it really is driven by the OS, as I understand it. Whilst closed mapping does tend to lock users into one vendor's system, it also locks other users out. I think everyone (bar the OS...) would benefit from an open DRM system, allowing users to transfer mapping between apps.
In reply to the abmmc:

The OpenStreetMap and derivatives are improving all the time. It's worth looking at.
In reply to the abmmc:

I don't really know anything about GPS's. I would just like to congratulate you on your thread title. Good work Sir.
 JEF 08 Dec 2015
In reply to the abmmc:
I've got the etrex 20 and I use mapping downloaded (free!) from a website called talkytoaster. It isn't OS but it is plenty good enough. Get it onto a micro SD but make sure you actually save the mapping into a file called Garmin otherwise your gps won't read it.
Post edited at 22:42
OP the abmmc 09 Dec 2015
In reply to MaxJEF:

Thanks MaxJEF and all others. It's the etrex 30x I have and I've looked at talkytoaster. It seems good and I think I will subscribe. purplemonkeyelephant, the thread title came quickly to me and then I realised as I typed it out that it was quite clever, fair chuffed with myself.....Identify yourselves if we ever meet and you are all welcome to a pint of your choice.

Tom

In reply to the abmmc:

This pint thing could get quite expensive, you know...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...