UKC

BD Fusion Alterations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nv 09 Dec 2015
Ciao,

Has anybody got a pair of BD fusions they've changed to climb ice better?

Any good links to websites would also be appreciated.

I'm considering filing off the hammer and drilling a hole to accept Petzl pick weights...

Thanks!

N
 GarethSL 09 Dec 2015
In reply to nv:

What picks are you using and what are you trying to achieve? Better penetration? First swing stick? Fusions are pretty heavy so I would have thought adding extra weight wouldn't be the first choice.

I have not come across any modifications (never looked), but have you tried the Fusion Ice pick, designed specifically for ice? It may help a little, save you cannibalising your pair. The laser pick is also an option.

http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ice-climbing-tools/fusion-ice-pick-B...

The only other alteration could be to modify the tip of the pick for better penetration, the merits of this are debatable.
 HeMa 09 Dec 2015
In reply to nv:

Yah, have the green Fusions...

There are 2 things to do. Change the pic to Fusion Ice pick (or in my case, I got a Krukonogi version), as it has a bit less pick angle, makin' it work more easily.

Also, consider enlarging the pinky-hole... At least I have problems with it being too tight. Or get the Fuel handle-parts (planning on).

Also, consider climbing leashless and without the lower spike (or yet again, buy the Fuel spike).

As for generally loosing some weight, I did use an angle-grinder to make the hammer even less useful than what it was, by making it a lot smaller.
OP nv 10 Dec 2015
In reply to HeMa:
I've taken off the pommel spike to make the weight of the axe higher up the shaft (the spike weights a lot!)

What are the Krukogni picks like? Sounds a bit funky ordering from Russia, without any IUAA certification.

Let me rephrase my original post:

Can anyone tell me how to make them stick better in ice? I'm using the Lazer picks, the new fusion ice picks cost a fortune, I live in Chamonix and I have an array of tools to alter them, I just don't know how because I can't find any evidence from other people... Pictures of alterations ect

Thanks guys!!
Post edited at 12:35
OP nv 10 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:
Just updated with an answer, thanks bud...!
Post edited at 12:35
 GarethSL 10 Dec 2015
In reply to nv:

On the pick modification, its more for dry tooling, but the idea is to remove the second tooth and file a half moon shape under the tip. You can also thin the blade a little by filing down each side.

This could work well for laser picks on ice, but I think the best would be some additional weight on the head to help drive it in. I would just drill a hole through the pick as you say and add the Petzl or DMM weights. Probably worth checking to see which fit best.

Will Mayo has some interesting tips here, but its more DT specific: http://www.willmayo.us/sharpening-petzl-picks/

On the krukonogi picks, they are brutally strong but quite prone to rust iirc. Very popular in the dry tooling/ competition world. Apparently made from tank armour or something, as its eastern European its probably from a melted down T34...
 HeMa 10 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

> On the krukonogi picks, they are brutally strong but quite prone to rust iirc. Very popular in the dry tooling/ competition world. Apparently made from tank armour or something, as its eastern European its probably from a melted down T34...

Indeed, quite popular for those doing competative drytooling/IWC stuff.

And pretty sure Armot Steel ain't from tanks... I would not however place one anywhere near your gonads or a geiger counter.

As for the OP.

The best mod to make Fusion IIs stick more easily onto ice (without breakin' everything) is sadly to shell out for them new Fusion Ice Picks. The gentler pick-angle makes them work more like a Nomic (1st time sticks).

The next one in line is to also make room for the pinky (or get the lower handle part of Fuel) to allow more wrist-flick actions.

Adding weight to already heavy tool really is counter productive IMHO and not needed.

Fuel (with the more gentle pick angle) climbs almost the same as Nomic from my experience.
OP nv 10 Dec 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Amazing replies guys, thanks a lot.

Any pictures/links to how I can file down these pinky grips?

Might have to bite the bullet and buy the ice picks.

Hit me up if you guys are around Cham, I'll get you a beer for the help!

Nick
 GarethSL 11 Dec 2015
In reply to nv:

Actually having pulled out a pair of fusion ice picks and compared them to lasers, I would figure you would have to be pretty lifeless to honestly, genuinely, truly find a difference between how well they work... Unless you're chopping WI12*.

The difference in pick angle is so minute, a pair of worn out, thinned and sharpened lasers are boarderline the same. Just shorter...

*Ps. Exaggerated
Pps. May be a little tipsy
 HeMa 11 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

> The difference in pick angle is so minute, a pair of worn out, thinned and sharpened lasers are boarderline the same. Just shorter...

About 2 degrees if I remember correctly. And at least for me it really does make a difference. Shorter pics don't really work, as the swing is again different.

As to the OP, about filing the pommel, not rocket science... Just take a round file to the bottom (where your pinky is) and make that area bigger and more rounded. Basically just make more room for the pinky so you can get a better wrist flick going on (and also won't freeze the pinky when it's cold).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...