UKC

cool Climbing gadgets/gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Toby Benson 13 Dec 2015
So I'm looking to buy a Christmas present for my brother who's into climbing/ mountaineering and was wondering if any could give me any ideas for 'climbing related paraphenalia'/ gadgets that is quite cool and useful.
Thanks!
 Sutok 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Toby Benson:

Of all the sports, climbing has probably the largest selection of 'things' you can buy someone who's into it, really depends on if you want to spend £20 or £200!

How much do you want to spend?

In reply to Toby Benson:

Black Diamond Magnetron Carabiner.

Useful, cool and relatively inexpensive.
Toby Benson 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Sutok:

Yeah good point, about 20-30ish
 climber34neil 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Toby Benson:

How about one of those hand crocheted chalk bags in a design of your choosing and put it side it a titanium spork?
 jmerrick21 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Toby Benson

Alpkit head torch? Useful kit just for household jobs
 nutme 14 Dec 2015
One of coolest things I ever got as present was a Personal Anchor System (PAS). It's expensive for a sling, so normally a climber would be not so willing to part with money, but as present it's brilliant.

There few different ones on the market. Best ones (in my opinion):

http://www.rockrun.com/metolius-pas-22-with-krab?gclid=Cj0KEQiA7rmzBRDezri2...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/grivel-daisy-chain-p279281
 EddInaBox 14 Dec 2015
In reply to nutme:

Alpkit do one, never used it but it is a little cheaper:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/chain
 Flinticus 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Toby Benson:

Aside from cost, what kind of climbing he does is important to know. You might get him nuts etc only to find he does sport climbing.

I recently got myself a folding knife, a Buck 750 redpoint, available online for £35

Many applications outside climbing: great for camping too. Has a bottle opener too. Most guys love a good knife!
 GarethSL 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Toby Benson:

As another poster mentioned, it would be really useful to know what kind of climbing the person does. But for inspiration, these are some of the gifts I've received over the years, all have been great presents and really appreciated:

Petzl Spatha and a few metres of 7mm cord.
Petzl tikka head torch.
Two petzl crampon bags. One for crampons one for ice screws (a very well thought about gift).
Gripmaster finger trainer, unexpected and useful.
Gyroscopic/powerball thing. Surprisingly addictive.
Chalk bag and chalk. For some reason its just nice to get a new one every now and again.
Small titanium stove. Some unspecific brand, but has been an excellent little burner.

The great thing about all these presents are they were unexpected and usefull, or things I didnt know I needed but turned out out to be very handy!
 nniff 14 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

> Gyroscopic/powerball thing. Surprisingly addictive.

You could add a physiotherapy voucher to deal with the RSI that will surely follow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...