UKC

Denver Int. Airport - Ouray

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gfpowell 14 Dec 2015
Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on the best route to take from Denver Int Airport to Ouray at the end-Jan/early-feb?

The two real options look to be I70 to Grand Junction then US50/550 to Ouray or US285 to Salida then US50/550 to Ouray.

Does anyone know which route would be best taking into account winter weather and the fact that I will be driving straight off the plane from UK in the dark??

Cheers
 Babika 14 Dec 2015
In reply to gfpowell:
Can't remember, it was a long time ago.
But I know I'm jealous

In reply to gfpowell: I went through Grand Junction last time in exactly the conditions you describe. It depends on what car you've hired. The last time we (2 of us) went for the cheapest option, and were told on arrival that they didn't think it was suitable for going as far as Ouray in winter. They said that they would supply snow chains, but we weren't allowed to put them on the car for insurance reasons. They actually said that.

They then tried to flog us a 4WD truck at easily double the cost. We ignored all the dishonest practices they tried (and they tried many) and took the small car and we got there just fine, although we stopped in Glendale Springs for a motel because we were exhausted by that point. The road is obviously extremely good, just beware that it goes high so there might be snow. You just have to drive sensibly if so. We did and had no problems. If you've hired a truck then there's no need to worry about anything.

Andy Donson 14 Dec 2015
In reply to gfpowell:

Yes the Grand Junction route is the fastest. The alternative route is worth it if your return to Denver coincides with miserable I-70 ski traffic on Saturday or Sunday afternoon/early evening.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...