UKC

Climbing mini-break in the NORTH :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 a_m154 14 Dec 2015
Hi there,
Myself and my boyfriend were planning a mini break away somewhere in the north of England (either Lake District, Peak District, Yorkshire etc) for 3-4 days in March-April sort of time.

We just wanted some advice on where to go! We both on site 6a's and redpoint 6b-6b+ (sport). although i've done easy trad my boyfriend isn't yet confident so we'd be looking for sport climbing really.
We were planning on a couple of days climbing, then opportunities for other stuff would be amazing like walking, scrambling, swimming in lakes etc as well as plenty of pubs!!
Somewhere with camping and nearby half decent pubs would be perfect!
We live in Liverpool so areas 3-4 hours away max would be amazing. Ive spent a lot of time in N. Wales so somewhere different would be great!

Any advice would be perfect!
Bernard Shakey 14 Dec 2015
In reply to a_m154:

Pex Hill ?
 mike123 14 Dec 2015
In reply to a_m154:
Since you do say "any advice" , mine would be get easy jet to Alicante and have 4 days bolt clipping on the Costa blanca , a lifetime of quality routes at your grade .. I reckon the cost will be about the same as a uk trip and you are virtually guaranteed great weather and to get loads of climbing done . Book the flights now and they'll probably visit you less than £100 . 4 days car hire - very little , £60 ish maybe less . Accommodation , either nothing ( camp / sleep in the car ) or about 10 - 15 euros a night for a hotel . Lots of people do 3/4 trips and I'm sure people do 2/3 days although I haven't . Pretty much all the info you need is available from the good people of this parish . The only downside is you will be hooked. .
Post edited at 21:39
 Bulls Crack 14 Dec 2015
In reply to a_m154:

How about a Northern Limestone/Lakes holiday?

Couple of days in Yorkshire: Robin Proctors Scar, Stoney Banks etc - camp at Gordale or Siloth House near Austwick

And maybe a a day/couple of days in the Lakes for walking/swimming.

abr1966 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Bernard Shakey:

> Pex Hill ?

A holiday to Widnes??!!
OP a_m154 15 Dec 2015
In reply to mike123:
This sounds like a possible idea, where would you recommend camping for free?
But also it might be more expensive for me to hire a car as im only 22!
Post edited at 14:55
 3leggeddog 15 Dec 2015
In reply to a_m154:

I agree with Mike on this, go to Sapin instead, bandit camp in the woods at sella and climb without worrying about the weather.

There simply isn't quality sport climbing in the low/mid grades in the uk.

Someone will be along soon singing the praises of Giggleswick and the like, do not believe them!
 The Ivanator 15 Dec 2015
In reply to a_m154:

There are good alternatives to the Costa Blanca for mid grade sport, but they are not in the North of England. Sardinia, Sicily, Mallorca etc. etc.
Alternatively if you are insistent on the UK looking South is a far better bet, Portland west Coast on a fine day offers masses of decent routes in the Sport 6s, bit more than 4 hours from Liverpool though. The Gower peninsular has some good routes in a beautiful setting - great for swimming (if you are hardy, it's bloody cold at Easter), surfing, coastal walking, might just about get to Gower in 4 hours.
Otherwise have you explored all the North Wales options - Llanberis Slate, A55 and North Coast Limestone, Llangollen/Clwyd Sport (new Rockfax guide just published).
Guess the Lakes for scrambling and walking could be combined with bouldering and bolts at St. Bees, which is aesthetically a nice spot.
OP a_m154 15 Dec 2015
In reply to a_m154:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! You've all been really helpful! Think we are going to hop to North Yorkshire for a bit of climbing + pubs + walking +swimming in Malham! My friend is from near there so we are getting all the insider info on which pubs to go to!

Loved the idea of Spain and we have our eyes set on a trip in 2017 when i'm a little less short of time! The climbing looks amazing so we wanted to go for 5+ days of climbing!

In the meantime i'm off home to N Wales for Christmas, fingers crossed for some decent weather!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...