UKC

GEAR NEWS: Ocun Kestrel Karabiner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 17 Dec 2015
Ocun, 4 kb

Lightweight, inexpensive and durable - Most outdoor equipment only fulfil two of the three criteria. The Ocun Kestrel karabiner fulfils all three.

Read more
 WildCamper 17 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Ive got loads of these crabs, I really rate them.
 John Kelly 17 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

DMM Phantom, gate open 9kn, not sure how much difference this extra bit of strength (2kn) really makes but I'm happy to pay the extra 4 quid to feel I have the strongest link for the weight I can get my hands on, inspires confidence
 PPP 17 Dec 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

In other words, twice the price (if you get them at Tiso, they are 4.50 each).

I have a mix of DMM Phantom and Ocun Kestrel (as well as DMM Spectre 2 and Ocun Hawk) carabiners. Those two pairs have nearly the same size characteristics. I couldn't even tell them apart that easily. Great biners, just slightly too stiff gates for me preference.
 John Kelly 17 Dec 2015
In reply to PPP:
Yes twice the price and only 25 0/0 stronger
The ocun does feel great
from memory, are they not quite a bit smaller than the phantom?
If I was using the lightweight rocks, 7kn, I would team up with the ocun
Post edited at 23:54
 BnB 18 Dec 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

I had a fondle of the Ocun Kestrels yesterday and, while undoubtedly light, they did seem small and hard to handle with gloved hands. Phantoms are only £7 each at Needlesports if you buy a pack of 5.
 HeMa 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

> I had a fondle of the Ocun Kestrels yesterday and, while undoubtedly light, they did seem small and hard to handle with gloved hands.

Yes, they are indeed small...

> Phantoms are only £7 each at Needlesports if you buy a pack of 5.

And Phantoms aren't any larger. Which is why I use full sized krabs in the winter. Less fumble factor.

John Kelly 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

Phantom 7 quid, bargain, I think they are a little engineering miracle, for me they set standard in weigh, strength and size, happy to pay the extra, that said if you are prepared to compromise on strength the ocun is nice bit of kit and cheap, I would use on micro cams
 John Kelly 18 Dec 2015
In reply to HeMa:
Sorry, got both ocun and phantom on floor in front of me, ocun is significantly smaller
Winter, initially size was concern but in reality they worked fine for me
Post edited at 07:49
 HeMa 18 Dec 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

Yuo sure you Phantom on the floor... as mine are about identical in size. Sure there's a difference for a mm or two. But not even close to make an effect.
 John Kelly 18 Dec 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Long axis phantom very roughly 1 cm longer than kestrel, feels quite a bit bigger.
 HeMa 18 Dec 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

WTF asre long axis Phantoms? AFAIK there's only such thing as Phantom (which is what I have) and as stated they are about the same size as Kestrel.

Do you mean thr Alpha Trad or what ever it was called?
 John Kelly 18 Dec 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Long axis - spine of biner, does that make sense
A different measurement that is kind of useful
Gate open
Kestrel 20mm
Phantom 22mm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...