UKC

Summer mountaineering / walking holiday destination?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aldo56 21 Dec 2015
I'm looking for some suggestions on where to go with the better half this summer. An outdoors and activity based holiday is what we're after.

She's happy enough with winter walking / mountaineering, very easy climbing, staying in huts, camping etc.

Where should we go? Any recomendations?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 21 Dec 2015
In reply to aldo56:

Hard to beat the Dolomites in my opinion.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2708
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6918

Some of the best scenery anywhere, good climbing, via ferrata, nice people, good food, reasonable prices. Venice and Lake Garda on the doorstep. Touristy bits and remote bits depending on what you want.

Enjoy wherever you end up!
 BobtheBagger 21 Dec 2015
In reply to aldo56:
If you've not been before I'd recommend a hut-to-hut tour of the Picos de Europa, northern Spain.
I took my daughter and her cousin (both teens), we worked out a great 7 day tour, lovely huts in a beautiful area, much quieter than the Alps and Dolomites and also as a bonus, much cheaper.
Post edited at 14:42
altirando 21 Dec 2015
In reply to BobtheBagger:
Yes Dolomites superb. But if you want a shorter drive, the little peaks round Lake Annecy, around 2,400 metres, scrambly little paths and ridges, all doable in one day, campsite at east end of the lake has apartments for rent and restaurant. Lac Bleu I think.
OP aldo56 21 Dec 2015
In reply to altirando:

All sounding good so far, anything else I should consider?
altirando 21 Dec 2015
In reply to aldo56:

Only fair to add I usually end up in the Hautes Alpes myself, often staying at Camping Alpes Dauphine, huge variety of walking and scrambling in the Champsaur, lots more via the main valley, campsite has restaurant and mobile homes as well as tent sites. Gap just down the hill for shopping.
 olddirtydoggy 21 Dec 2015
In reply to aldo56:

I did the German alps in the Garmish area which was fairly quiet. The Zugspitze has fantastic, via ferrata routes, gorges and the beer was epic. I also did the Polish Tatra mountains in Sept but the place was rammed, I dread to think what it's like in the summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...