UKC

Toe bang in ice boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ROSP 23 Dec 2015
Hi all! I have been trying to size a pair of B3 boots and have been really struggling, and would appreciate some advice. The best boot i have found to far are La Sportiva Nepal Extremes in 43, I experience slight toe bang if i really go for it, but its just fine with standard kicking, is this normal? Is any level of toe bang acceptable? Going up or down a size just seems to make the problem worse. Thanks for the advice!
 Mr. Lee 23 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:

Personally I'd try and avoid ANY toe bang. My last pair of boots I experienced a little bit when kicking hard as you say. Generally fine for most climbs until I encountered some particularly hard ice, which needed some firmer kicking. Result was four black toe nails.A month later the same again. I'd keep shopping around for the right fit if I were you.
cb294 23 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:

Go half a size up,

CB
 HeMa 23 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:

If you feel the boot is the correct size, make sure the heel stays put. Add volume spacers near the ankle or a wedge under the heel.
 abr1966 23 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:

After 30 years of winter climbing I've never found a boot to prevent this! Maybe it is to with anatomy of certain feet but I've used 103's, vega's, various koflachs and scarpas.
ROSP 23 Dec 2015
Cheers everyone for the advice, I think I will try an insole and if that doesn't work send them back and possibly try a half size up (though i tried this in the shop and it just seemed to make the problem worse, but I don't know why!)
ROSP 23 Dec 2015
In reply to abr1966:

So would you say toe bang is impossible to eliminate completely for those of us with weirdly shaped feet? Thanks!
 Mr. Lee 23 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:

Could be by going up half a size you're technically getting the length right but now the volume is generally too big in other dimensions (ie too deep). It can cause your feet to slip forward in the boots more readily. You could try an insole with the larger size to reduce the depth a little. Failing that just try another boot maybe.
 DaveHK 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> Could be by going up half a size you're technically getting the length right but now the volume is generally too big in other dimensions (ie too deep).

The additional tongue in Sportiva Nepals is excellent for taking up that extra volume.

In reply to ross_spours:

Do you have very low volume feet? I've personally never experienced this unless I was trying on boots way too small. If the boot fits then surely the ankle should be taking most of the brunt?
 abr1966 23 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:

> So would you say toe bang is impossible to eliminate completely for those of us with weirdly shaped feet? Thanks!

I hope not for all the young aspirant climbers! I don't even have weird looking feet but have spent most winters with numb black toe nails since about 1980....not now as I don't climb hard anymore!
 smithg 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:

At the end of the walk-in before you start to climb, crank the laces extra tight, especially from the ankle bend upwards. This will hold your foot to the rear of the boot better and prevent it slipping forwards. Also, when you have to put in some harder kicks, just scrunch your toes up and let the boot transmit the force from the rest of your foot rather than it going through your toes.
 Mr. Lee 24 Dec 2015
In reply to smithg:

> Also, when you have to put in some harder kicks, just scrunch your toes up and let the boot transmit the force from the rest of your foot rather than it going through your toes.

That sounds like bad solution to me verses just finding something that fits better. Especially if the boots are new out of the box.

Ysgo 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:

Someone else has already mentioned it, but have you tried sticking the removeable tongue depressor further down into the boot to reduce the volume above the foot?

Failing that, try the size you've got, alongside the next size up, both with volume reducing insoles, and maybe look into supportive insoles like Sole, and Superfeet. The shape of the arch should help to give another object to reduce the amount your foot moves forwards. Not to mention give you a more stable platform when walking and climbing.
 Babika 24 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:

I also have weird feet with volume problems and often end up with black big toe nails.

A tip given to me when buying ski boots was sit down to put them on.
Then bang the heel hard against the floor to "seat" the heel. Pay attention to the mid foot lacing (as mentioned above) so that the heel/ankle is properly held back to prevent any forward slide.

Seems to have improved things for me with Nepal Extremes.
Ive got low volume feet AND a significantlt longer second toe than big toe. so not only do i bang my toes while kicking but it is also onto my second toe and not big toe or distributed evenly.

Not done much winter stuff but have the same issues with snowboard boots.... always black second toenail

ROSP 26 Dec 2015
Cheers everyone for your helpful advice, much appreciated!
Woolly Mammut 29 Dec 2015
In reply to ross_spours:
I believe someone has already covered this, but put on an extra layer of thick socks and use a half size larger boot with the Blue coloured Superfeet, which has lots of arch support was what I was advised.

Makes sense, the arch support stopping any foot travel, and even splay when walking.
Post edited at 16:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...