UKC

Custom mountaineering boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Riley 26 Dec 2015
My wife has odd (wide shaped) feet with bunions and we have been looking for a pair of technical boots that fit for ages without much luck. Does anyone know of somewhere we could potentially get some made to measure? Ideally b2-3ish(or equivalent) for summer alpine and a bit of Scottish winter. Price is flexible.

Cheers,
Alex
 Rick Graham 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Alex Riley:
Alt Berg in Richmond, North Yorkshire do custom made boots.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/fitting/made-to-measure/
Post edited at 11:05
 RBK 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Alex Riley: You could try some light plastics like Scarpa Alpha/ Omega and then go to see a good ski boot fitter to get them pushed out in the right spots.

Robin Woodward 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:
Unless they've changed in the past year, altberg don't do made to measure boots of B1,2 or 3 (and their waiting list is something like 2 years).

They do, however, do the Mallerstang (or something) in 5 width sizes. When I got mine they stretched the extra wide fit even further for my silly feet. I've used these boots paired with some B2 crampons (they have a rear welt) for some alpine routes routes (up to AD+) and some scottish winter routes (up to grade III) no problem, but I wouldn't want to use them on an ice route or in european winter temps. They are stiff than they claim in my experience.

Edit: If you want something more technical,I'm considering buying some double boots and thinning/padding out the bootie in future to try and get a usable fit.
Post edited at 15:21
OP Alex Riley 26 Dec 2015
Thanks for the helpful responses guys, it's given me a few ideas to move forward with.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...