UKC

Missing routes in Dorset crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan_F 09 Jan 2016
It's great that guidebooks have gone digital but a little annoyed that the crags have routes missing that are and have been on ukc for a long time longer than the rock fax app has been available in fact... I think as you can link to ukc through the app then it should be up to date with the ukc database of routes..
 Tom Last 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Dan_F:

I'd have thought that'd be pretty much unworkable since the database entries are user/moderator moderated, so half the time the UKC crag pages are full of repeats/contradictions/errors etc. In other words, the route entries and descriptions on UKC are not edited in the same way as they are in the Rockfax guidebooks and it is the guidebook, not the UKC databases that the app is designed to reflect.

The Pylon King 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Dan_F:

Digital books are just an add on for real books, not a replacement.

And the UKC database is a logbook not a guidebook.
Post edited at 13:13
In reply to Dan_F:

> It's great that guidebooks have gone digital but a little annoyed that the crags have routes missing that are and have been on ukc for a long time longer than the rock fax app has been available in fact... I think as you can link to ukc through the app then it should be up to date with the ukc database of routes..

As stated by Tom above, the UKC database is user moderated hence presence of a route on there doesn't mean that we can instantly add it to the Rockfax App. Not only is it all a little difficult to keep track of, we would need a photo, a route line, a description, etc. Those are all getable for sure, but our research work still mainly goes into producing books and then we turn those into digital data.

We are now starting to include more stuff in the App than the books, and I suspect this is going to increase significantly over the next few years, but at the moment we are putting all our effort into getting as much of the Rockfax printed information on to the App. Once that has been done, then we can look at adding more obscure areas and extra routes.

In the future we may well design something allowing individuals to upload full crag topos which we can incorporate in the App as well.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...