UKC

How are conditions right now for Cairngorm 4000ers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 13 Jan 2016
I've got Friday free to have a bash at this, has anyone been up? Looks ideal.

Robert
 jpicksley 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Roberttaylor:

I'd say conditions are very good at the moment. I toured round the Northern Corries last Sunday and skied around the lifts yesterday and it's very good. Lots of people out touring yesterday. I'd watch the forecast though as mwis and metoffice are both predicting higher winds tomorrow (Friday). Be interested in how you get on if you go. I'm new to touring but would like to do the 4000s.
 James Edwards 14 Jan 2016

If you go, please let us know how it was.

James
 Inchewan 14 Jan 2016

Are you planning the big four or the big six. Daylight is short in January for a day trip. Spring conditions are more fun. Snowline needs to be quite low to avoid any ski lugging. You will need to be in top form. The sting in the tail is the night finish through Chalamain gap then across awkward terrain to the Cairngorm car park. Consider conditions for a sugar bowl finish.
OP Roberttaylor 14 Jan 2016

Will post tomorrow if I get out.
 top cat 14 Jan 2016

expect to walk a lot..........................
James Jackson 14 Jan 2016
In reply to top cat:

Really? Considering last weekend I skied back to about 600m from my car in the high car park (and could have gone all the way if I didn't care about the bases), had some fantastic skiing on the NE faces from the summits with good cover in between, and that it's snowed a shedload more this week, I'd say conditions are pretty epic.

I didn't explore the plateau much, but from what I can tell it's scoured but covered. Seems like a good weekend to be in the hills.
James Jackson 15 Jan 2016

And of course, for anybody heading out, this is required reading: http://www.sais.gov.uk/northern-cairngorms/
 Doug 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Inchewan:
The only time I skied the 'big 4' was in April & we still finished in the dark (although we still had some light getting through the Chalamain Gap). We were on light nordic skis so may have been slightly slower on the steeper descents but almost certainly faster on the flats/undulating terrain than a group on alpine gear. I suspect at this time of year you'll end up doing much of it in the dark, unless you have fantastic conditions are are very fast
OP Roberttaylor 15 Jan 2016

For the benefit of anyone after touring conditions, I went part of the way up Ben Wyvis today...powder on heather all the way up according to walkers though I'm sure it gets better up top.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...