UKC

Riglos season - or Meteora?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 16 Jan 2016
Planning a trip to Riglos and Catalunya in the spring, but it's going to have to be mid March.

If anyone knows it well, do you think this is a good time to visit?

If it's going to be freezing, or rainy, then for weird conglomerate towers, might I be better to head to Meteora instead around that time?

Any experiences, facts or opinions would be of much interest.

Ta,
Jon
 jimtitt 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:
I£ve been to Meteora in March, we couldn£t even see the towers for the fog and steady downpour. Meteora doesn£t get the more benign climate on the coast of Greece, it gets the crap coming out of the Pindos mountains which are 2600m high.
Post edited at 19:42
 JJL 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I may be way out of date - but I thought Meteora had banned climbing?

Which is an enormous shame, as it's a wonderful destination
OP Jon Stewart 16 Jan 2016
In reply to both:

Well that's 2 good reasons not to go to Meteora. Looks amazing though!

AJM 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I went to Riglos start of April and it was good if getting a bit hot on the sunny faces so I'd guess yes it would be ok March.
 jimtitt 16 Jan 2016
In reply to JJL:

> I may be way out of date - but I thought Meteora had banned climbing?

> Which is an enormous shame, as it's a wonderful destination

As far as I know it isn´t banned, though the church has tried often enough. Sure is one of those places you really should go to but the climbing itself was nothing for me personally, (I´ve been there quite often when I lived in Greece). Better climbing is to be had on the limestone further east.
 JJL 16 Jan 2016
In reply to jimtitt:

> As far as I know it isn´t banned, though the church has tried often enough. Sure is one of those places you really should go to but the climbing itself was nothing for me personally, (I´ve been there quite often when I lived in Greece). Better climbing is to be had on the limestone further east.

Ha! Well that just shows that different people rate different things. I thought it was magical. The setting, the routes, the summits, everything. Much better than the usual limestone stuff.
 CMcBain 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I climbed in Riglos this December just gone past and it was fine, in fact verging on too warm whilst the sun was out, even when the clouds rolled in it wasn't too chilly. I dread to think how unbearable it would be in midsummer, so March sounds like a relatively good shout. Great place, theres so much more other than just Fiesta as well, enjoy!
 mark20 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:
I went at the end of March / start of April a few years ago, it was pleasantly warm in Siurana and a bit cooler but still OK in Riglos. I seem to remember it took about 3h to drive up to Riglos, so if you keep an eye on the weather you can have a bit of a rest day, drive up to Riglos and get up early the next day for a big route. We called in at Margalef too but I thought it was desperate! Some nice roads for driving. I think you'll have a great trip, enjoy!
OP Jon Stewart 16 Jan 2016
In reply to mark20:

Cheers - looks like a good bet. I haven't been outside the UK since I left my job in 2011, so I'm looking forward to it.

Off-topic: I think it was one of your videos that introduced me to this track: https://soundcloud.com/fikarecordings/stanley-brinks-and-the-wave - forever indebted, brilliant!
 ashtond6 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

If you wanna climb hard don't go Meteora, I was massively underwhelmed. For dropping your grade to climb long routes, it's fun. But not world class

I found the pebbles were so unpredictable it almost felt like aid climbing (ie you never know when it's gonna go)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...