UKC

First trip to Patagonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi team,

I'm looking at going on a bit of an adventure next autumn/winter and really fancy heading to Patagonia.

Don't worry, I won't be attempting any super hard alpine climbing up Cerro Torre, but I would like some information on the best areas for some quality hiking, but also great adventurous climbing (I can lead HVS comfortably and have some winter mountaineering experience).

If anyone has any information on the best parts to visit, the best time of year to visit, the best guidebooks to buy, then I would very much appreciate you sharing this information with me!
In reply to seanywillycocks:

We went to Torres Del Paige and did the O route which takes about 14 days. The first few days which were part of the popular W route then you go off round the back of the park and it is a lot quieter.
we took a lightweight tent but stayed in a lodge at one point and ate at another hut to reduce the amount of food we carried. We were lucky with the weather it only rained heavily one afternoon.
Cicerone do a good guidebook
On the way out try the Pizzeria Mesita Grande in Peuto Natales I really enjoyed it. if your thinking of going there mail me direct my partner did a blog that you may find useful as it details places to stay etc.

Have a good trip whatever you do
 damowilk 20 Jan 2016

El Chalten is pretty cool and worth a visit, even if you don't intend to do some hard-ass mountaineering. It does have some rock climbing near the town, but it's not the greatest, the bouldering was good though.
Best climbing venues I went to in Patagonia were Cochamó in Chile and Frey, near Bariloche. Both have long walk-ins which are interesting in themselves, good camping (though very Windy at Frey) and great lodges. The climbing is generally long and committing but great rock.

Piedra Parada was also good, less consistent walk, but much easier access and fun camping by river.
 Tom Last 20 Jan 2016
Also done the full 'O' circuit it Paine. Agree with what Phil said about it, you can do it in way less than two weeks though. We did it in 6 days, 5 nights, but the last day was very long. You could do it pretty comfortably in a week. Likewise we had good weather. I was there overall climbing and trekking for a month and had only two days of precipitation, but it does get very very VERY windy a lot. Paine is pretty dry, but last year was a unusually good season I think.

If you want to climb in Paine, It's imperative you get permission in advance. We did North Tower of Paine at about E1/TD or something. There's easier stuff like Shark's Fin at about VS I think. In all climbing in Paine is pretty time consuming with red tape/walk ins travel too and from the park and waiting for weather windows. I doubt it's something you'd do as an afterthought after doing the circuit, rather if you want to climb there I'd make it a focus and go with an expedition in mind over a week or two.

Likewise feel free to email if you want any info on climbing in Paine. You might be better in somewhere like Frey though if you want chilled out climbing - not that I've been there (Frey), so could be wrong.

Cheers,
Tom
Post edited at 21:36
 mcrtchly 20 Jan 2016

I'll also vouch for spectacular trekking in Torres del Paine where we did the W route in late 2013 (see http://kernowclimber.blogspot.ie/2013/12/paine-is-pure-pleasure-w-trek-torr... for a report and youtube.com/watch?v=NtLMb4CUdAQ& for a video). Camping facilities are generally good and you can buy food and beer in the lodges or take your own food.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...