UKC

Public Transport around Lofoten and Northern Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Freshprintce 21 Jan 2016
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a trip to Lofoten and heading over to the mainland to do Stetind in summer this year.

Does any one know what public transport is like over there? We are trying to keep costs to a minimum so if we can fly and not have to hire a car it would be a massive help.

Any advice as to whether this is possible would be much appreciated. Also some route recommendations would be handy!

Thanks,

Will
 psaunders 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Freshprintce:

Public transport is extremely good in Troms, fairly frequent and only moderately expensive (considering the distances and how expensive everything else is). I think a bus from tromso to somewhere on lofoten would be about £50. Or you could get the hurtigruten, but thatd be slightly more (and slower). There is a good bus service in lofoten right the way down to Å so maybe look at flying to Leknes directly.

The ferries in the area are also quite frequent, but they have had some reliability problems - one crashed onto the rocks when I was there, and that was already the replacement for another one - you'd be unlucky if that happened again though.

You should also find hitching pretty easy. I didn't do it myself as I had a bike, but everyone I met had found lifts easy to come by. One pair even had a woman go home and get her car especially to give them a lift!

HeMa 21 Jan 2016

Lofoten is easy. Fly to Bodö, catch the passanger ferry to Svolvär and then a bus to Kalle/Hennigsvär.

A little harder to reachd Stetind, but might be possible. About the same, just ferry to different locale and catch a Narvik to Bodö bus. Hiking or hitchhiking might be required to make IT more pleasant.
DiDrayton 05 Feb 2016

Hi
The website http://177.no/ is really useful for finding the public transport options, you can dial 177 from your phone as well, but I haven't tried that.
Cheers Di

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...