UKC

cairngorm campervan parking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 26 Jan 2016
Assuming the snow returns for this weekend (or if not a future weekend) would there be any problems over-nighting in a campervan (heated) in or near the carpark? - mainly to get a good start in the morning lift queue
 DaveHK 26 Jan 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

Quite a lot of folk do this. Never heard of any issues. Most, myself included tend to go in the lower part of the car park as it is a bit less windy.
 pec 26 Jan 2016

The top car park can take quite a battering from the wind and in my experience some climbers will arrive for a pre dawn start, park next to you and spend half an hour rattling climbing gear about and stop you sleeping. The car park on the left at the first hairpin is more sheltered.
In reply to DaveHK and Pec:

Thanks that all sounds good, now just waiting for return of the snow

snoopdawg 27 Jan 2016

Used the sugar bowl car park for years with my campervan without issue, however there is now a charge machine. Last April had to drop down to Glenmore because of high winds and used the new car park for the start of the path to Ryvoan pass. This car park also has a charge which I didn't pay and is sheltered in the trees.
 planetmarshall 27 Jan 2016
In reply to pec:

> ... in my experience some climbers will arrive for a pre dawn start, park next to you and spend half an hour rattling climbing gear about and stop you sleeping....

Aww. Diddums.

Luk e 27 Jan 2016

Stayed at the cairngorm top car park a couple a weeks ago with no issues. The police drive around at about 2000, I suppose to check for stragglers. There are normally about 10-15 vans parked there overnight on a weekend. It was -6 up there in the van as I didn't have my heater on overnight, so getting up was painful. If you look into the mountains you can often see the flickering of headlights until well gone midnight.

Just beware if there is going to be a big snow dump, they might struggle to open the road in the morning (if say you need to get down mid morning for what ever reason).

You can just about get phone signal with three mobile aswell, which you can't get in the lower car parks that you also have to pay for.

The flatest bit of the car park (hard to tell when it is dark) is on the left hand side by the lift station (basically where most of the vans are parked)

No showers available up there for public use, so if staying for a few days. Best bet is to go into aviemore and pay £2.30 for a shower at the new sports centre.....or go for a swim for a fiver!

Hope this helps!

Loch Morlich shore is prettier
 ianstevens 27 Jan 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Aww. Diddums.

Beat me too it - I assume you've only got 5 dislikes because people in vans think they're the coolest people ever, not realising that they've got an expensive form of transport and crap accommodation.
 DaveHK 27 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Beat me too it - I assume you've only got 5 dislikes because people in vans think they're the coolest people ever, not realising that they've got an expensive form of transport and crap accommodation.

There speaks the voice of jealousy.
 Run_Ross_Run 27 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Beat me too it - I assume you've only got 5 dislikes because people in vans think they're the coolest people ever, not realising that they've got an expensive form of transport and crap accommodation.

Oops! Bit naive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...