UKC

rope and aero360 dehumidifier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 barneyc 28 Jan 2016
Hi.

The Mrs came home with this thing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UniBond-1807937-Aero-360-Moisture-Absorber/dp/B00F1...

IT removes moisture from the air. The water combines with the chemical to produce a blue liquid, which collects below.

I spilled some of the blue liquid (very small amount) onto a bag containing all my climbing ropes. I tried to clean it up, but although only a small amount touched the ropes, its possible that some of it may have been in contact for an extended period.

I have downloaded the MSDS sheet for the product, and the active ingredient appears to be Calcium Chloride (no other ingredient is mentioned) and the product is classed as an irritant. When I get a little bit of the liquid produced on my hands it produces a drying effect, which is hard to get rid of.

I understand that climbing ropes can not tolerate extremes of pH - i.e. strong acids and bases, and also bleaches.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the safety of my ropes. I would be especially grateful to hear from people who actually have some experience / knowledge about this. Thanks
 Timmd 28 Jan 2016
In reply to barneyc:

I guess you could test the PH of the actual liquid you have and then ask the rope companies if that kind of PH would have any effect on your ropes?
 deepsoup 28 Jan 2016
In reply to barneyc:
A quick look at a few chemical compatibility charts suggests nylon is fine with calcium chloride. (eg: http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance )

If they were my ropes I'd probably give them a cool wash, then assuming they look and feel fine after drying wouldn't worry about it.
OP barneyc 29 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

thanks for the replies
 gethin_allen 29 Jan 2016
In reply to barneyc:

These moisture traps are just big lumps of salt, normally potassium chloride, nothing really dangerous. The pH will be somewhere around neutral.
I wouldn't store aluminium gear in it but I wouldn't be concerned about a bit of some rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...