UKC

British brand outdoor clothing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottTalbot 01 Feb 2016
Are there any decent UK brands out there? I've currently got some Karrimor jackets that do the job, but don't really come close to my old Lowe Alpine gear. In all fairness, they were cheap though..
 AlanLittle 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

What do you mean by "UK brand"? Lots of companies design in the UK and seem to aim primarily at a UK market; rather fewer manufacture in the UK.

UK based, design in the UK, manufacture overseas:

Montane
Rab
Berghaus
Mountain Equipment

Manufacture in the UK:

Paramo (?)
PHDesigns
Cioch
 Siward 01 Feb 2016
In reply to AlanLittle:

Hilltrek?

For tents- trekkertent

Aiguille Alpine
 bouldery bits 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Buffalo!!!
 faffergotgunz 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
http://www.stillmadeinbritain.co.uk/clothing.html

Hunters Tweed is a personal favourite of mine.
 goose299 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Alpkit
 Ban1 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

peter storm
 grump gnome 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Keela, not the lightest, but great quality.
 Andypeak 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

SnugpAk
 Bish 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Jottnar
 Babika 01 Feb 2016
In reply to AlanLittle:

> UK based, design in the UK, manufacture overseas:

> Rab

The Rab Vest/Gilet that I'm currently selling on UKC is marked Made in Sheffield on the label which I think is rather nice!
Clearly they've been driven abroad now, along with many others.
 wercat 01 Feb 2016
In reply to grump gnome:

It used to be said of Keela that lots of people wore it without knowing it as they made for the big names. Pretty good quality and functional. I still have one of their 2 layer ventile jackets.
OP ScottTalbot 01 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't realise half of these brands were British!?!

> bouldery bits

I used to have a buffalo mountain jacket, which I'm pretty sure saved me from hypothermia once (after an autumn dip in a lake). Great jacket, but I've always been put off of buying another one, because they don't pack down very well. I'd actually forgotten they were a UK company though.
 bouldery bits 02 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
The Buffalo stuff is truly brill. My buffalo shirt is well over a decade old, has taken some serious hammer, and is still in great nick (barring 1 zip replacement).

Brilliant products.
Post edited at 21:45
OP ScottTalbot 03 Feb 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

Mine lasted about a year, I caught it on something a ripped it. Gutted at the time!
 MG 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Duct tape it and its as good a new. Well, almost!
 Snowdave 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
No big brand mountaineering clothing is made in UK anymore except the Rab high end exped custom stuff, everything else is designed here & British brand, but made in China, Thailand, Chile, Morocco, Turkey, Malaysia, & in the best/cheapest factory they want for that product.

Made in UK tailoring:_
Cioch do custom one off tailored fit waterproof & fleece stuff:-
http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/perfect_fit/perfect_fit.html

PHDesigns do custom down clothing & sleeping bags:-
http://design-your-own-down-jacket.phdesigns.co.uk/

British main stream brands which do clothing but made not in UK:-
Alpkit
Berghaus
Buffalo
Karrimor (owned by Lonsdale, which is owned by Sports Direct & very diluted brand quality)
Keela
Montane
Mountain Equipment
Outdoor Designs (part of Equip Outdoor technologies which own Rab)
Paramo
Rab
Snugpak (formally Brett Harris)
Target Dry (Northern Ireland)
Wynnster (name bought by Unipart Automotive & just tents now, but made very good wind/water proof fleeces & tough WP full zip over trousers)
Post edited at 18:02
 bouldery bits 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Snowdave:

> No big brand mountaineering clothing is made in UK anymore except the Rab high end exped custom stuff, everything else is designed here & British brand, but made in China, Thailand, Chile, Morocco, Turkey, Malay

> Made in UK tailoring:_

> British main stream brands which do clothing but made not in UK:-

> Buffalo

Are you sure?

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/about/

Snowdave 03 Feb 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Are you sure?

Don't say that every product is made in UK, a bit ambiguous, thought they had moved it abroad.

I remember talking to rep ages ago who let slip for a product to state it was made in UK only 20% actually had to be done here, so fabric was cut & part stitched abroad & then final 20% assembly/finishing was done in UK!! what a joke!!
 Glyno 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Snowdave:

> Don't say that every product is made in UK, a bit ambiguous, thought they had moved it abroad.

> I remember talking to rep ages ago who let slip for a product to state it was made in UK only 20% actually had to be done here, so fabric was cut & part stitched abroad & then final 20% assembly/finishing was done in UK!! what a joke!!

I think you'll find Buffalo IS still made in Sheffield
http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/about/
 alexm198 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

There's still a lot of stigma attached to the words 'made in China'. I've spoken to a number of reps from different manufacturers over the past couple of years and the overwhelming reason that many brands originally from the UK are now outsourcing production to the Far East is because the factories and workers here simply don't have the equipment/functionality/skills to work to the standards needed with top spec materials like Gore Pro or Neoshell etc. It's not simply a function of labour costs being lower.

If you buy that or not is another story - there will of course be an inherent bias from a sales rep! I can definitely imagine it being the case though.
 Andy Hardy 04 Feb 2016
In reply to alexm198:

It could well be true, since there's no factories making clothing in the UK we have lost those skills.
 John Ww 04 Feb 2016
In reply to alexm198:

Just read a piece in the Huddersfield Examiner about a company called McNair, which makes high-end mountaineering shirts (as in £350 per shirt) for the great and good. Unfortunately, they can't find machinists skillful enough to do the work - despite having a Textile Centre of Excellence down the road, a history of textile manufacturing, and a University with a renowned Textile department. Hardly surprising then that work gets sent overseas.

JW
 Mord 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Snowdave:

In reply to Snowdave:
Hi Snowdave
Being the Sales and Marketing Manager of Buffalo, I can inform you that every piece of Buffalo Systems clothing is made in our workshop in Sheffield. Our Sheffield workshop is the only place in the world where Buffalo clothing and Sleeping Bags are produced.
OP ScottTalbot 04 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I don't really have an issue with clothing being made abroad, I just want it to be designed with our climate in mind, so I know it can cope with our weather conditions.
 Snowdave 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Mord:
> In reply to Snowdave:

> Hi Snowdave

> Being the Sales and Marketing Manager of Buffalo, I can inform you that every piece of Buffalo Systems clothing is made in our workshop in Sheffield. Our Sheffield workshop is the only place in the world where Buffalo clothing and Sleeping Bags are produced.

Brilliant thank's for that as the website was a bit vague, I though it would have shouted "Proudly made in Sheffield UK". You need caps lock on I think LOL

I used to work in a place that did your stuff back in the mid/late 90's, used to sell quite a few of the special 6 versions, (pertex 6 fabrics)

I can't seem to amend my previous post with the list????
Post edited at 16:06
 Mord 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Snowdave:

Glad you used to sell our stuff. The Special 6 is still one of the most popular items we make. STILL MADE IN SHEFFIELD.
 ballsac 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Mord:

hi Mord,

i'm a great fan of Buffalo, i love the stuff - however, could you please sort out the product descriptions of your kit so i can understand what product would fit what activity in what weather?

i can work out that the S6/Mountain Shirt/Big Face are at the 'vile day in the Cairngorms in February' end, and the windshirt and Techlite are at the 'mid june on Blencathra' end - but all the rest of the stuff (Active, Alpine, Fell, Active lite etc..) just occupy an amorphous blob in the middle, the descriptions of which leave me no clearer as to what they are for...

something as simple as marking them as 'Cairngorms in February', or 'Peaks in April', or 'thicker Pertex and a longer back and neck for greater weather protection than the X, but with the same pile thickness', or 'if you sweat like a pig, choose this one'.

please....!
OP ScottTalbot 04 Feb 2016
In reply to ballsac:

> hi Mord,

> i'm a great fan of Buffalo, i love the stuff - however, could you please sort out the product descriptions of your kit so i can understand what product would fit what activity in what weather?

> i can work out that the S6/Mountain Shirt/Big Face are at the 'vile day in the Cairngorms in February' end, and the windshirt and Techlite are at the 'mid june on Blencathra' end - but all the rest of the stuff (Active, Alpine, Fell, Active lite etc..) just occupy an amorphous blob in the middle, the descriptions of which leave me no clearer as to what they are for...

> something as simple as marking them as 'Cairngorms in February', or 'Peaks in April', or 'thicker Pertex and a longer back and neck for greater weather protection than the X, but with the same pile thickness', or 'if you sweat like a pig, choose this one'.

> please....!

It might be time to update the colour pallette too...
 willoates 04 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

BOBHats.com

Quality custom bobble hats!
 Neil Williams 05 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
Some Berghaus kit is still good. I've done well out of Mera Peaks and similar, I still have a Trango Extrem I bought when I was 15 (21 years ago[1]), it's still just about usable as a second waterproof for knocking about on Scout camp though I had to have the zip replaced as I broke it. Got a Mera Peak bought about 7-8 years ago and that's fine too.

[1] Not my oldest bit of gear, I still have a "Snuggledown" brand synthetic sleeping bag bought for me aged 6! Don't use it often but it is a useful spare.
Post edited at 00:04
 Jim Hamilton 05 Feb 2016
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Manufacture in the UK:

> Paramo (?)

apparently manufactured by "fallen" women in Colombia!
 soularch 05 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Shout out for http://www.finisterreuk.com/ , they might be more associated with surfing but there gear is top notch, ethically/eco produced and a lot of it is very suitable to mountain activities as well.
 Mord 05 Feb 2016
In reply to ballsac:

Hi Ballsac

Thank you for that. We will get to work on it. It's not something we can get done overnight, as we are quite a small team here, but over the coming few weeks we will add some detail to all the products about when and where they can be used.

Keep an eye on the site, www.buffalosystems.co.uk over the coming weeks.

Mord.
 Alan M 05 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I think Craghoppers is also designed in UK made abroad
 HakanT 05 Feb 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

"Abroad" is a very big place, so you probably want to look more closely at where and how it is produced. As mentioned above, Paramo's stuff is made in Columbia, and their standards of ethics make Patagonia look like street muggers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...