UKC

Grip strength training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlexBush 04 Feb 2016
Has anyone noticed any decent results from using grip strength training tools?

I got a couple of them for Christmas and decided to take them into the office a few days ago. The plan is to squeeze them, doing reps until failure once an hour (alternating the side of the spring from thumb side to pinky side) on non-climbing days.

I've read a few bits on here that pretty much say that it won't help with climbing, which I find odd. Surely if I'm getting my forearms pumped every hour, it's going to have some positive effect?
 AMorris 04 Feb 2016
In reply to AlexBush:

Once an hour to failure? Where is recovery time in this plan? I have not used specific grip strength tools so maybe this is normal, but this kind of schedule sounds like a bad idea to me.
OP AlexBush 04 Feb 2016
In reply to AMorris:

Sorry, to clarify, I only squeeze it as many times as I can until I can't completely squeeze it shut (usually about 45-50 times) which takes about a minute. Then I put them down on the side and leave them alone for an hour. After an hours rest I'm good to go again.

I don't really think that it's intense enough to justify a rest for longer than an hour.
 cragrat 06 Feb 2016
In reply to AlexBush:

I've heard you can get heavy duty grippers called something like Captain Crush, but I've never used them and have no other info.
 SenzuBean 06 Feb 2016
In reply to cragrat:

> I've heard you can get heavy duty grippers called something like Captain Crush, but I've never used them and have no other info.

I have used them, and enjoyed them - and found they did help. But they actually take a lot of effort and concentration (one handed typing all but impossible), and you have to remember to use them! Suffice to say they don't get used very much anymore, but I'm sure if I was pysched for a specific training goal then I'd use them again.
OP AlexBush 19 Feb 2016
In reply to AlexBush:
Well, I've been using them for a few weeks now and can definitely say they are making a difference (or something is!). In the last two weeks I've upped my onsite grade to 6c and got my best redpoint at 7a (also got to the penultimate clip on 2 x 6c+ and a 7a - onsite last night). I've generally upped my training slightly since xmas, but I feel like my forearm endurance has improved massively which I'm thinking has got to be down to the grip training. Routes which would usually see me getting pumped to pieces aren't bothering me half as much.
Post edited at 11:29
 Andy Morley 19 Feb 2016
In reply to AlexBush:

I have a Gripmaster, with individual springs for each finger. I can't tell whether this has improved my grip or whether it's Beastmaker sessions, or holding the barbell between my fingertips while doing deadlifts and shrugs or just indoor climbing as winter training but regardless of which of those has done it, the Gripmaster is a useful way of measuring how strong my grip is. I currently have the medium tension version and and I'm contemplating getting the 'heavy' version.

Also offers catharsis if ever you have fantasies about strangling anyone.
 dek 19 Feb 2016
In reply to AlexBush:

You can pick up these gadgets for under a Tenner each, in a Tkmaxx. The single hand grip is a bit tedious in use, I've just recently bought the 'Iron Arms' (don't laugh!).., i can certainly feel it working on the forearm/upper arm, when just sat watching the telly. I believe theres a promo video, on you Tube too.

http://www.irongym-europe.com/the-iron-armstm.html

http://www.empind.com.au/shop/item/hand-grip-trainer---adjustable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...