UKC

Uk high point with British teritorys included

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timmyhobby 07 Feb 2016
What's the highest point of a british teritory? Guessing there is a higher one than Ben Nevis
Gone for good 07 Feb 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:
Looks like this might be it. More than twice the height of the Ben.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Paget
Post edited at 21:30
In reply to timmyhobby:

Even Tristan da Cunha has a few peak higher - only slightly more accessible than Antarctica though.
 DaveHK 07 Feb 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

Interesting question.
 Mal Grey 07 Feb 2016
In reply to timmyhobby:

Looks like Mount Jackson on the Antarctic Peninsula if the British Antarctic Territories are included. Otherwise Paget as mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Jackson_(Antarctica)

Bulls Crack 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Mal Grey:

It would certainly extend the 3 peaks challenge!
 Billhook 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Is Tristan Dah Cunha really more accessible than the Antarctic continent? I dion't think so!!

Tristan is the most remote populated island in the world.

I think you can get flights to and from various antarctic bases from the South American continent and there are numerous cruise ships and research vessels in the south, along with around 65 manned research stations with a total population in summer of around 4000. There are numerous supply and support vessels regularily visiting these bases. You can also take any one of the numerous cruise ships and step ashore in various places along the antarctic coastline. There are numerous landing strips and safe harbours which can take ships.

Although times have moved on since I visited Tristan Dah Cunha around 1969 there is still no airport and there's only one ship visit from south africa one every two or three months ( http://www.tristandc.com/shipping.php ) The entire population is around 250 living in one small location. There is no harbour capable of taking anything other than a rowing boat or a safe anchorage. So even if you owned your own ocean going yacht you could end up visiting the place and not being able to get ashore due to ferociously rough seas.

The highest point is around 6760ft which puts in far lower than anything in our antarctic territories too.

In reply to Dave Perry:

> Is Tristan Dah Cunha really more accessible than the Antarctic continent? I dion't think so!!

I didn't give it too much thought to be honest.

My wife (deceased) spent some of her childhood on St Helena (including having to travel to and fro to the UK for school). You would be surprised at how even remote areas are accessible if you have the time/desire and need.
 Billhook 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Well I don't think I'd call St Helena too accessible either. Its a long walk if you miss the bus/plane or train!
In reply to Dave Perry:
Several days if you are a 15yr old girl with a younger brother in tow - you might have to insist that the British Consulate are called to assist, and then when you get back to the UK you might have to deal with a Headmistress that sent a letter two weeks ago informing everyone that school was to start a day earlier than previously advertised!

Alternatively if you are the elder brother and the mail ship is cancelled, you might have to work the passage home so you can sit the normal exams!
Post edited at 21:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...