UKC

2/3 man tent recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crustypunkuk 13 Feb 2016
Hey all,
I'm looking for any recommendations of 2-3 man tents up to around £350 max. Will mainly be used around campsites but with the occasional wild camp too. Ideally it would be 4 season with a decently low weight. I've been looking at the force ten range and the terra nova voyager, mainly because of the higher hydrostatic head compared to euro and American brands. Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?
As an aside, I absolutely detest a flappy inner or outer on my tent, so non flappy is best!
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Terra Nova Quasar - have squeezed 3 into mine, very comfy for 2. 2 entrances/storage areas very handy (1 for cooking, 1 for in/out), divides 3 ways for carrying (fly, inner, poles & pegs). My Voyager is luxury valley tent for 1, good for 2 wild camping. Love them both - untroubled by bad weather - can even be double-poled to resist fiercest winds.
 Andy Manthorpe 15 Feb 2016

Have you looked at the Alpkit tents ? They look good value.
OP crustypunkuk 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

I've had a wee look, and they seem decent, but the flysheet hydrostatic head is pretty low. That's the same reason I've discounted mountain hard wear, msr and a number of otherwise decent looking euro tents. It's 99% gonna be used in Scotland, so it's be preferable if it was able to cope with Scottish weather!
 PaulTanton 15 Feb 2016
Im in the same market. I currently have Ountain Hardware Trango 2. Its been an excelent tent. My old Wild Country one got trashed on Mingulay in some bad weather. As did a Vango hoop tent thing.
Im tempted to go for a biger Mountain Hardware, Trango 3.5 or 4 and accept the condensation
 malk 15 Feb 2016

why not something like the vango banshee 300 for <£100? 2.75kg
Planks Constant 15 Feb 2016

> I've had a wee look, and they seem decent, but the flysheet hydrostatic head is pretty low. That's the same reason I've discounted mountain hard wear, msr and a number of otherwise decent looking euro tents. It's 99% gonna be used in Scotland, so it's be preferable if it was able to cope with Scottish weather!

I'm not sure the fly hh is the be all and end all. Plenty of folks out there with tents from the manufacturers you mention who will attest to their water resistance.
In reply to malk:

I've tried the banshee, and I found it to be overly flappy, no matter how I guyed it out. I like some of the vango offerings though, especially as I'd prefer to give my money to a British company.
In reply to Planks Constant:

True, it's not the be all and end all, but if I have the choice between a high hh of maybe 10000mm like the terra nova or force ten offerings, or 1000-1500mm offerings from msr or mh, I know which I prefer. Same principle as waterproof jackets I reckon?
Like I say, I'm not set on any specific tent as yet, so I'd be more than happy to hear of personal experience of any 2-3 man tents, especially if it concerns Scottish weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...