UKC

USA Climbing Road Trip - Where Would You Go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 16 Feb 2016
I am plannig a bit of a USA Climbing Road trip.

We will be taking three very experienced climbers and six people with a little experience.

We plan to fly in and out of LA and will be there for 2 weeks.

I am looking at three or possible four locations.

Joshua Tree and Red Rocks are definitely in as I have done both before and they are superb.

If you were me what other one or two locations oin roughly the same area of the USA would you include?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Gary.
 HakanT 16 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User:

If you are considering J Tree and Red Rocks, I'm assuming that your not going in the summer. If you are planning on driving between the areas and only have two weeks, I would think that those two areas should be plenty. If you want to add one more and don't mind driving, check out Queen Creek Canyon, just east of Phoenix, AZ. Queen Creek Canyon
Removed User 16 Feb 2016
In reply to HakanT:

Yes I should have said looking at first two weeks in Nov.
 HakanT 16 Feb 2016

You may also want to head up I15 from Las Vegas to SW Utah. There has been a lot of development around St. George, and Zion National Part is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever visit.
Removed User 16 Feb 2016
In reply to HakanT:

Zion national Park sounds good!

That would mean J Tree red Rocks and Zion.

I recon that is doable in two weeks given that I know two of the locations. We can definitely squeeze in 3 days at first two and then 4 days at Zion into a 16 day window.

Thank you.

Gary.
 yodadave 16 Feb 2016
Bishop bouldering and the Owens river gorge for sport.

J tree eats skin so you may want to factor that in.

If you're stuck in LA for a half day beginning or end then hit up stoney point, not far from LAX
 Martin Bennett 17 Feb 2016

I'd def add Zion if you're as close as Las Vegas, even if it's just to hike the narrows and wander up Angel's Landing - the place is just wonderful. Why not fly into Los Angeles and home from Las Vegas? That way you could turn a driving day into a climbing day? Didn't cost us any more last time we did it, neither flight nor car hire - that was into Los Angeles and out of Phoenix.
 highcamp 19 Feb 2016

+1 for Zion. The sandstone in Utah is unreal it's so good.

Another option close to LA is Tahquitz and Suicide https://www.mountainproject.com/v/tahquitz--suicide-rocks/105788020 . Think 800ft routes of splitter Sierra quality granite within 2 hrs of the airport (or about 90min from jtree). The one kicker is that the routes start around 7000 ft elevation (~2100m), so when coming from sea level you definitely feel it.

Offwidth 19 Feb 2016

I've combined JT and Red Rocks for 2/3 week trips every other year in November or December for nearly two decades. Utterly brilliant trad climbing. Given you are coming from LA, a day at Idyllwild and a look at Tahquitz/Suicide would be worth it as would a couple of days in Zion... any more venues and you are spreading yourself thin. Also stay flexible... rain isnt uncommon at Red Rocks in November and you need to stop climbing on the rainy days and preferably at least one dry day after (to protect the rock) so be at JT when any rain is about (I've never lost a full days climbing at JT even when it rained or snowed).
 wbo 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User: given the mix of abilities you have i'd be tempted to say Colorado but in November the weather could be anything

The Papa Lazarou 20 Feb 2016
In reply to HakanT:

Hi Hakan T......am interested in the recent activity in the St George area....can you be specific about where to get up to date info please?
Cheers
Jon
In reply to The Papa Lazarou:

http://www.limestonebible.com/about.html

New guide just out.
The Papa Lazarou 21 Feb 2016

Many thanks for the link Jonathan
 HakanT 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

What he said.
Removed User 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Top Tip,

Thank you.
 Rob Davies 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

I'd say a few days at Idyllwild would be worthwhile. Tahquitz is a big cliff with lots to do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...