UKC

Anyone with experience of current Scarpa SL Active B1 boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rob Stratton 19 Feb 2016
Hi.
I'm looking to buy a pair of Scarpa SL Active B1 boots for UK use. I've had two pairs of old style SL's before, had no problems with them, and their wide fit suits my feet. However, I've read a number of reviews where users have complained of the inner lining wearing through in the heel area in the updates model. I've spoken to the UK supplier, who suggested that such wear was caused be too much heel lift from a poor fit, which may be so, but I'd be glad if there is anyone out there who could offer me their own experience of the current model, especially if you've given them some wear!
I'm also open to suggestions for an alternative sturdy B1 boots that offers a wide fit...... these are for year round walking/scrambling/wet/rocky use, for that level below B2's, which I have already.
Many thanks,
Rob
 GForce1 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Rob Stratton:
They are based on a completely different last than the previous boots; much narrower, particularly at the heel (still not narrow enough for my weedy heels - I had to give up with mine).

As an alternative I can recommend Altberg Mallerstangs. I have a pair that have lasted about 2000km on the sort of terrain you describe; they have proven to be very well made. Now being resoled by Altberg for a reasonable £45 on the original lasts. Personally I think they are better made than the Scarpas. Biggest difference other than fit is the higher ankle cuff and more agressive sole unit on the Altbergs.

From what you describe Mallerstangs in a XW fit might suit (5 width fittings available).
Post edited at 19:53
 static266 19 Feb 2016

I've owned mine for three and a half years, they're comfy and right for the size. Great for scrambling and mountain walking, a bit overkill and uncomfortable for lower level and fair weather walking over longer distances. Ok for C1 crampon use but any more than a couple of hours use with crampons gets a little painful for me.

Overall good durable boots, not the cheapest out there. Make sure you treat the leather well on the toe crease!
Rob Stratton 19 Feb 2016
In reply to GForce1:

Thanks for that, I'll check the Mallerstangs out.
Rob Stratton 19 Feb 2016
In reply to static266:

Great, sounds familiar, cos that's how I enjoyed the last pair! So no probs with the inner lining for you?
 lucozade 20 Feb 2016
I've got a pair of Activs. My take is that they're probably a good fit for you - I take 10s quite often but found that 9.5 fitted me pretty well. I've got wide feet and no probs there - but I also have narrow heels so find them a wee bit too wide in the heels and do get a bit of heel lift which even decent insoles haven't fully fixed. For this reason my next B1-ish boots (similar use to you) may be something from Anatom (http://www.anatomfootwear.co.uk/collections/mountain - no affiliation, they were recommended). Or LaSportiva fit is good for me too.
Post edited at 11:27
Rob Stratton 20 Feb 2016
In reply to lucozade:

Thanks. You're the second response with issues around too much heel space, so I'll consider that when trying out. Still no issues with the heel fabric wearing, which is good. Anatom look interesting, though I do have reservations about a breathable inner lining on a boot that I'll be waterproofing anyway. Guess fit will have to take priority!
 criefftony 20 Feb 2016

Hi Rob
The heels in mine wore away after two days. I'd not buy another pair. They're probably right that it was to do with heel lift as I have wide toes so usually have to put up with some heel lift to get me feet in any boots. The memory foam nonsense just makes the problem worse as my feet can move about inside as the foam compresses. However I don't think that the lack of durability is excusable in a £200 pair of boots.
As a full time instructor I'll put up with them as they probably won't last the season, then try something else. I didn't even bother trying to return them as I reckon I'd be wasting my time.

I can do you pics if it helps.
Tony
 Andypeak 21 Feb 2016
In reply to GForce1:

Alt berg make brilliant boots. I would also recommend Meindl Himalayas, wide fitting bomb proof boot but a bit stiffer than the Altbergs. Only problem is they can be quite hard to find in UK. I think Joe Brown do them.
Rob Stratton 22 Feb 2016
In reply to criefftony:

Thanks Tony. That's not great. Esp as it's easy to get some heel lift in stiffer boots, but that shouldn't wear the lining out. I'm going to have to be very confident of the fit after all this feedback.
I've had SLs for a long time including the latest model. Since I've had heel blister problems in the past as well as wearing the lining at the heel on (only) one older SL model, I've been using Engo patches on all my 3-4 season boots ever since ( about 7 years now). I put them by default in the SL activ boots when new so can't say it they would have worn away at the heel since the patches definitely stop that.

Still think the SLs are a good choice of boot for me, but then again I've not tried out some of the newer makes or models - usual if it suits why change it.

If you really want SLs and avoid potential heel lining wear if this is a problem I would definitely recommend the Engo patches. http://www.goengo.co.uk/product/heel-patch-pack-2-heel-patches/ . I even used them on the older boots that did have worn lining after it was damaged and the boots lasted another two years of use before I finally binned them - the new model is a lot more comfortable and tempted me .

Not cheap but I find the patches last much longer than they say. I get more than a year out of each patch, prob around 500 miles, if careful how you put the boot on. On the other hand if you say just slid the heel down heavily on the heel of the boot you can have the patch ****** after one or two uses!! Slacking off the boot or using a shoe horn and as I say they last well over a year for me.

Hope that helps you decide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...