UKC

Eczema

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy DB 23 Feb 2016
Hi All,
Just wondering if any one else suffers from this delightful condition. After a rather wet day on the hill on Sunday I am sat in the office looking rather red and itchy. I have the usual selection of lotions and potions from the doctors, that will settle it down in a few days but just wondering if anyone has any good tips for coping specifically in the outdoors. Would be great to get to be able to go out on the hills in winter without looking like I have had 3 rounds with a belt sander!
 Dark-Cloud 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

You sure its Eczema ? You have my sympathies, I have had some on my hand for months now, just started to get rid of it.

I find E45 cream the best solution, the one the doctor gave me made it worse......
 mountainbagger 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

Where is it exactly? Is it on skin that was exposed to the elements or skin which was covered by gloves or hat or other clothing?
In reply to Andy DB:

Two things.

The first is to look at what you use that may be keeping the eczema going, as it were. If you use shower gel, use an fragrance-free soap instead. If it's on your face and you shave, try growing a beard. I had a patch of eczema on the palm of one hand that just would not shift until we moved to a house with a dishwasher, when it just went; this despite me using rubber gloves whenever I did the washing up. That may be a rather extreme form of treatment though.

The second is to apply whatever lotion works for you before you go out on the hill. I find vaseline intensive care advanced repair works for me; E45 does nothing (and my wife says it smells of dole and despair, which is rather good of her). Then put some more on when you get back.

It is a monumental PITA though.

T.
OP Andy DB 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Am relatively sure it is eczema. I go though moisturiser like drinking water! As long as they are non fragranced I don't notice much different. I have a number of steroid and anti inflammatory creams from the Docs that do work but don't seem to be preventative.
OP Andy DB 23 Feb 2016
In reply to mountainbagger:

Yes this time is is mainly on face and neck. It was a minging day and is probably where it got wet from rain blowing into my hood / under a we hat. I also often get it under where my rucksack straps / hip belt sits. I don't tend to get it in the classic eczema places of backs of knees elbows and wrists. The most annoying place is on my face as makes the skin very sensitive.
 Dark-Cloud 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

I had an "potent" steroid cream that made it worse, I have just been blitzing it with E45 and am winning the battle, wearing gloves makes mine worse so a week of skiing next week will see it back to square one probably.....

OP Andy DB 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Have thought about this. I do wonder whether the stuff on my face is due to shampoo and it washing out my hair and down my face. Shaving is a complete nightmare, I tend to shave infrequently and only when the beard becomes too hipster. Already worked out that washing up by hand is a no no. Moisturise moisturise moisturise is always what the doctors tell me maybe I just have to be even more diligent.
 mountainbagger 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

Hmm, I would try regular Vaseline (greasy though it is) as a sort of protective coating before heading off out, particularly on the places that rub. It's cheaper than all the other ointments (keep those for post-outing treatment maybe), which means you can be generous and reapply during the day if needs be. Not entirely sure how it would interact with waterproof coatings on outdoor gear though, so try not to get it on that!

Along with my suspicion that my love of cheese/dairy products is a factor, and the usual detergents, fragrant soaps, washing liquid/softener (I only use SureCare and no softener), sweat etc., I've also found central heating dries out, and therefore irritates, my skin.

Good luck. I feel your pain, though thankfully the period when it was around my eyes and mouth is over - not the best look, bit like a clown who'd fallen on hard times! Right now, it's my hands and elbow joints, which I'm used to.
 John Ww 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

The only stuff that works for me is Eumovate (about £6.50 for a tube) - nothing else I've tried has the slightest effect. Unfortunately, you're not supposed to use it on your face, but might be worth a try...

JW
 MrJared 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

I'm in the same boat, I no long use any soaps as it contains SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) which is the foaming agent in virtually everything, and it is really bad for sensitive skin as it takes away the oils that eczema already reduces in your skin.

I find the change in temperature makes mine much worse so I tend to try and warm up slowly after a cold wet day. Have you tried changing your washing powder? Where your rucksac pushes the clothes onto your skin could be causing a problem.

Good luck!

P.s this is SLS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dodecyl_sulfate
 Al Evans 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

Just out of interest when did this Eczema start? Has it been a lifelong thing or did it just suddenly happen? I ask this because at the age 0f 68 I suddenly developed a rash which despite being looked at by a dermatologist got worse and is not getting any better. The itching is driving me mad and it covers just about my whole body, nothing prescribed seems to be helping yet.
They have ruled out Psoriasis and life threatening and contagious, but I don't want to live out my remaining years continually scratching and in mild pain.
Good luck, I sympathize.
In reply to MrJared:

I was trying to remember the name of that chemical, so ta for posting it. I have found that stopping using shower gel and using Simple soap (no frangrance, colour or other nasties) instead in the period when the clocks have gone back (ie, the winter months) makes a significant difference for my skin. Surcare detergent is another good recommendation, it and the Surcare fabric conditioner make a definite difference as well.

As for moisturisers, what works for my skin may not work for someone else's - the stuff my wife uses just sits unpleasantly on the surface of my skin - so it's a case of finding one that works, and the Vaseline intensive care/intensive rescue stuff works fine for me. Putting some on as a barrier cream before heading out is a definite plus. It's much the same with shampoos; Head and Shoulders, whatever it may contain, is fine used three times a week. More often is too often; less and I don't feel clean.

Good luck to the OP.

T.

In reply to Al Evans:

It's got to be worth checking whatever you use for the sodium lauryl sulphate that Mrjared pointed out Al, and using a non-biological detergent or switching to Surcare if you haven't already.

T.
Reading this thread is making me itchy...
OP Andy DB 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

Was always a bit predisposed to it, had childhood asthma and eczema but grew out of them. The eczema only really returned when I was finishing my PhD which I am thinking is probably linked to stress. Currently dealing with a de-merger at work which I'm sure isn't great for stress levels.
Thanks for all the tips re washing powders and fragrance free soap etc. It is a reminder that I should maybe check through what we are currently using. I know that on Sunday I called in at my parents on the way home had a shower and did just use what ever was there.
Lusk 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

Another vote for non-bio washing powder. All my clothes used to make me itchy before we started using it.
I seem to be getting a bit rashy in a certain bodily region, which I can't really give a good scratching to in polite company! Must try some of the earlier cream/lotion suggestions.
 Bobling 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

Sorry a bit of thread hijack here and not related to the outdoors (sorry OP). But I thought I'd share our experience of this condition - our eldest had it pretty badly when he was wee, months of Drs appointments, steroid ointments, some ghastly moisturiser with a medical name I can't remember, oilatum, Aveeno all applied pretty much every day. No change for him - in fact a gradual deterioration, especially with the steroids - they worked for a couple of days but it always came back worse and they left marks on his skin after sustained use. Anyway in the throws of desperation we got some Dream Cream from Lush (thanks Netmums), and conducted a scientific experiment - one leg normal treatment, the other Dream Cream - and within a week the difference was marked. We switched to just Dream Cream and things cleared up astonishingly quickly, now he's a bit bigger and is very rarely bothered at all, so much so I don't think we even apply the Dream Cream daily anymore.

I know everyone is different but if you are suffering give it a go. Who knows - you too might be able to save the NHS four prescriptions a week!
 gethin_allen 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:
When I was a kid I had really bad issues with it to the poi to that my skin would crack and bleed. The best thing we came up with in the end was a steroid cream/e45 mix. Every night before bed I'd wash my feat in and then paint the cracks with germolene new skin (hurts like hell) and then rub in loads of this mixture. Eventually it came under control as I got older.

The steroid cream was Betnovate,
Post edited at 23:03
 Hooo 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

I've always had it to varying degrees. At the moment it's on my hands. It's a real pain keeping it under control, as your hands are exposed to everything.
Stuff that makes mine worse is stress and wet. Obviously not getting my hands wet is hard!
Stuff that helps:
Non bio washing powder.
Minimise exposure to anything soap / detergent or solvent. Unfortunately gloves can make it worse for me, so I wear silk liners under my rubber gloves for washing up / squeezing lemons etc... I said it was a pain!
Find products that work for you and stick to them. For me the only thing I wash my skin with is Eucerin AtoControl. Expensive but the only thing that never makes it worse. I carry a small bottle with me everywhere.
As an emollient I use A-Derma Exomega. Again, it's pricey and hard to find, but it's the only thing that never makes it worse.
Vaseline is good most of the time, especially as a protective barrier while out in poor conditions.
E45 and all the other stuff in Boots just makes it worse.
I only use steroids very rarely as a last resort, as long term use is a bad idea.
 Hooo 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Bobling:

I'm always on the look out for new products, so might give Dream Cream a go. It looks to be similar to the Exomega I use. Unfortunately the price is similar too.
oggi 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

Google for a book called "itching to climb" by Barbara James. It will give you an insight into how someone with the condition managed to climb.

Doug
OP Andy DB 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

Thanks all, certainly given me some things to think about. I will try the lush dream cream. It has also reinforced that I just need to be diligent with putting on emollient type creams especially if outdoors for long periods. You are also all right that that most creams don't interact will with waterproof membranes. I guess I just have to try to keep them apart as much as possible.
 edunn 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

Don't shower before you go out (wet skin/ open pores + cold air = dry skin). If/ when you do get wet then dry off and get changed asap (have a spare, change of clothes in the car. Use talk).

Try not to sweat (impossible I know), but a good layering system using natural materials can help. Sometimes cool and unsweaty is better than warm and sweaty.

Watch your diet, beer, bread, pasta, milk can be a trigger.

Mine tends to be stress related (physical as well as mental), so I can keep it under control 90% of the time but then get outbursts when I'm strung out. So if I know it's going to happen then I make sure all the other factors (diet, clothing, greasyness) are all sorted, so that there's only one thing I need to address to get back on track.

Working out the main trigger(s) though a process of elimination is very useful. A weekend climbing could have multiple triggers, so knowing which ones to avoid and which ones are inevitable can be useful.
 Al Evans 24 Feb 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> The steroid cream was Betnovate,

The only stuff that helped my Mums Psoriasis was Betnovate.

gethin_allen 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

> The only stuff that helped my Mums Psoriasis was Betnovate.

I have Psoriasis too (oh how I was blessed by genetics) but fortunately it's not that bad unless I'm massively stressed and I use Dovonex when it flares up.
 jcw 24 Feb 2016
In reply to oggi:

I would strongly support this recommendation.
 marsbar 25 Feb 2016
http://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Boots-Brands-A-to-Z...
In reply to

I find coconut oil good as a bad day moisturiser (as long as you are not allergic! ) It is greasy but it works. I just use the cheap one not the organic expensive one.

I use the shampoo and body wash from the link (mobile phone puts it at the top)

RockAngel 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:
My son has excema and most of the creams and ointments from the doctor made it worse. He uses a sea salt & kelp shower gel from tesco, all the other ones makes it worse. E45 cream actually made him cry when he was younger as it irritated his skin so much. He always got a chapped face so he would slather on Vaseline which kept it moisturised and protected from the elements. Now he's needing to shave, his skin is better as he doesn't until it gets too scruffy looking. He also takes a strong antihistimine regularly as that takes the mad itching away and helps clear it up. We tried all the different washing powders/liquids, creams and ointments until we found the 3 or 4 products that don't make it worse. Unfortunately, what works for one won't work for all and it was a long time of trial and error until we found what works for him.
rob sykes 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

just sent you a PM.
 RockAngel 26 Feb 2016
In reply to marsbar:
Aqueas cream made his excema worse too. It cracked the skin, made the itching worse, made it bleed and him cry in pain. It was horrible for him and the doctor wouldn't really listen when I told him what it did and just prescribed more. He stopped using it, it went worse for a few weeks then has almost cleared up, just the odd flare up which a few days of his antihistimes sorts out. His is stress related as well as a couple of physical triggers, chocolate! I will try him with some of the lush dream cream.

Does anyone know if avons skin do soft range or sime range is any good for settling excema flare ups?
 climbingpixie 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

I have psoriasis not eczema but suffer similarly with itching and pain. I use hydromol, which is a fairly greasy emollient - like a turbo charged vaseline. I moisturise my bad patches 3-4 times a day with it, melt it in hot water and put it in the bath with me and sometimes use it instead of soap/shower gel to wash with if my skin is feeling particularly irritated. It keeps my skin from cracking and flaking and helps with the itchiness.

I cut out wheat and dairy for about 6 weeks once to see what effect it would have on my psoriasis. It was quite marked how much it improved! Unfortunately my desire for pizza is generally greater than my desire for not flaky elbows so I couldn't keep it up for long.
 Hooo 26 Feb 2016
In reply to RockAngel:

> Aqueas cream made his excema worse too.

It never did me any good either.

> Does anyone know if avons skin do soft range or sime range is any good for settling excema flare ups?

I'm too chicken to try any non eczema-specific creams, but please let us know if you do!
One good non-steriod cream for flare ups is Dermalex eczema repair.
Have you tried Eucerin bath and shower for washing? It's very good with dry skin to stop it cracking. Same job as Aveno and Oilatum, but those caused horrible flare ups for me and my daughter.
 MrJared 26 Feb 2016
In reply to marsbar:

This sent me to hospital! I would avoid it like the plague.... The plague is probably more comfortable!
 John Ww 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

With regard to moisturizer, I use Aqua-non Hermal - supplied by my g/f who is a GP in Germany, but pretty sure you can order it from the internet. Like Eumovate, it's the only thing I've found which actually improves rather than compounds the itching.

HTH, JW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...