UKC

Ice routes near Chamonix in late June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 25 Feb 2016
My girlfriend and I will be in the Chamonix valley for a few days in late June this year. We're both comfortable leading Scottish V ice. Any suggestions re good ice routes away from the queues?
Removed User 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

There won't be any ice routes in Cham in June. Not of the type I am guessing that you are thinking of.
 HeMa 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Well,

Chere couloir is and "ice route" and often climbed in the summer/fall.

Same can be said for numerous other alpine routes, albeit most of them also include easier (or harder) mixed climbing as well.
OP Tricadam 25 Feb 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Yes, hoping there are some slightly less frequented alternatives to the likes of the Chèré Couloir. And not averse to a bit of mixed climbing if there's anything likely to be good and not crawling with other folk?
 HeMa 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

Madness Tres Mince or something like that...
 David Rose 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

Some years there will still be things to go at. There are some high ice routes on the Freney and Brouillard faces, for example. And on the north side of the Verte (eg, the Bettembourg). Ephemeral lines on the Jorasses have been climbed in June. Other routes besides the Chere on the Tacul could be in nick. As ever, it all depends on weather and conditions from now until then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...