UKC

"Hill Fit"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fergoid6 26 Feb 2016
Hi folks

I am an semi-experienced walker/climber and have done a lot of decent climbing and walking in the past, however it has been over a year since I have managed any and have signed up to too a walk for charity that takes in 2 Munroe's and a corbet in one day, I am starting to get gym fit again, however any good ideas for hill fit!! Other than the "get out on the hills" statement ( which I should be able to do at least 1-2 a month til the event) , that's not as easy with 2 small children now! my time is limited and I just hoped there could be something else I could be doing. Cheers folks Graeme
 trish1968 26 Feb 2016
In reply to fergoid6:

I've been told Spinning uses the same muscle groups.
Lusk 26 Feb 2016
In reply to fergoid6:

Fill your rucksack with rocks, put your heaviest boots on and go up down your stairs 200 or 300 times a day, everyday ... unless you live in a bungalow.
Bellie 26 Feb 2016
In reply to fergoid6:

When I was stuck inside, I would do plenty of squats. Gets the leg muscles going nicely. I'd do step ups too.

Timmd 26 Feb 2016
In reply to fergoid6:

Could you make a game of carrying your children up and down the stairs on your shoulders for a bit of fun?

It could be about 'helping dad get mountaineering fit' and giving them bits and pieces to play with...fun for you both
 Timmd 26 Feb 2016
In reply to fergoid6:
I'm thinking if you've done a fair amount of hill walking in the past, if you can only get a few days in of about two thirds of what you're going to do, I reckon that would be a long way towards being fit enough, more is better, but we can generally do more than we think we can when it counts.
Post edited at 15:11
 skog 26 Feb 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Fill your rucksack with rocks, put your heaviest boots on and go up down your stairs 200 or 300 times a day, everyday ... unless you live in a bungalow.

Better still, do this in the bath, which you've half-filled with mud, and intermittently run a cold shower over yourself.

Put a pile of rocks in the corner, and run the shower hot at the end to steam up the room, giving yourself the chance to take the classic summit photograph:
http://ootnaboot.scot/spring2007/20070421Fionn_Bheinn.JPG
 maybe_si 26 Feb 2016
In reply to fergoid6:

All the above is reasonably daft, just go running, wherever you live, doesn't matter and even with 2 small kids I'm sure you can find time for a run 3 or 4 days a week.

Without doubt the best thing for it, if you live vaguely near a bit of a hill to run up then even better!

ianstevens 26 Feb 2016
In reply to maybe_si:

> All the above is reasonably daft, just go running, wherever you live, doesn't matter and even with 2 small kids I'm sure you can find time for a run 3 or 4 days a week.

> Without doubt the best thing for it, if you live vaguely near a bit of a hill to run up then even better!

Second running. However, a heavy bag and the stairs is useful resistance training for the quads... as is spinning if you crank the resistance up a bit.
Gone for good 26 Feb 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Running...either treadmill or preferably on the road. Other than that local long low level walks with the family.
Stairs are useful but trust me, don't try it with kids on your shoulders. It will be annoying and painful for both of you.
 Oujmik 26 Feb 2016
In reply to fergoid6:

The thing I've never figured out is how to train for the leg jellying ordeal that is walking steeply down hill. I think running maybe somewhat beneficial, but as a cyclist I tend to be fine walking up but then find my knees and shins crushed by the descent. Last year we descended the bristly screes in very cold (for spring) weather after slowly ascending Dolmen Ridge. The steep, loose downhill and the coldness of our muscles resulted in the worst fatigue we have ever experienced despite the relative shortness of the route, we could barely move for two days!
Lusk 26 Feb 2016
In reply to skog:

> Better still, do this in the bath, which you've half-filled with mud, and intermittently run a cold shower over yourself.

That's good, I won't need to worry about wiring the electrics up properly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...