UKC

Climbing Japan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
This is bit of a long shot, anybody have any experience of climbing in Japan? There seems to be a huge amount of stuff to do there, but finding information is a little tricky - a few blogs and a few vague postings of routes on websites which usually cover UK and USA. Has anybody got any first hand experience of the place?

I'm looking for a longish routes, 5-6 pitches, easy, 5+ish sport and bolted belays. Abbing would be ok, walk off preferable. Not asking for much.. Am I likely to be able to find something like this over there?

Also, preferably within reach of Tokyo.

Any ideas?!

Thanks in advance.
 TonyG 29 Feb 2016
In reply to The Green Giant:
The central arête on Mt Futago near Chichibu is probably going to be your best bet around Tokyo for something around 5 or 6 pitches. You'll find a full description here on my site (Did you really not find this site from a Google search?):

http://climbjapan.blogspot.jp/2009/01/futagoyama-central-arete.html?m=1

The Koesawa Buttress has slightly easier access, but only runs to 3 pitches:

http://climbjapan.blogspot.jp/2013/11/koesawa-buttress.html?m=1

There are also quite a few multipitch rock routes included in this book, which presents a selection of ten of the finest climbs in Japan in my opinion:

http://amzn.to/23DKFpN

Hope that helps. Get in touch if you want more info.

Tony
Post edited at 12:56
In reply to TonyG:

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the information, it looks like you have hit the nail on the head. Would love to have a whole climbing trip in Japan but am restricted by partners abilities and other commitments, so this looks like a good compromise.

I did find that site, I don't know the regions of Japan though and as much as I love reading about climbing, trawling the whole website didn't really take my fancy.

Once again, thank you kindly. May be in touch if I need to ask more questions.

Alex
 TonyG 01 Mar 2016

My pleasure, Alex. Give me a shout closer to the time if you need any more help. All the best!

Tony
 DWS gibraltar 01 Mar 2016

I've always fancied climbing in Japan but I am now put off by the thought or radiation
 edwardwoodward 01 Mar 2016
In reply to DWS gibraltar:

> I've always fancied climbing in Japan but I am now put off by the thought or radiation

Quite right, mate. You'll be glowing green before you clear customs.
 edwardwoodward 03 Mar 2016

The South Wall at Jouyama has some multi-pitch clip-ups up to about 4 pitches but the best ones are 5.10a or above.

A bit further out, Ogawayama and Mizugaki have plenty of multi-pitch routes, but nothing that doesn't require at least some gear here and there.
Haru no Modori Yuki (4 pitches, 5.7) is a doddle though, especially if you dodge the top corner, and has bolts generally where it matters. (Walk off)
Gamma is also good with an avoidable 5.9 crux pitch that requires a Friend 4. Even so, it's probably best to have a light rack and you'd still have a tricky bolted 5.9 slab on P2. (1 x 50m ab to a good path)

But as someone intimated above, if travel time is limited, you might be better off climbing single-pitch stuff. Plenty within reach of Tokyo.
In reply to edwardwoodward:

Thanks all to replying on here, and to the person who sent me the address of a website in an email without anything else in it - odd but informative.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...