UKC

Radical 2.0 - brake lock (anyone got a pair / any issues?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 daWalt 29 Feb 2016
Was having some problems with the brake lock-down over the weekend; 1st day out on them; so it doesn't bode well.
Brake would pop out of it's locking mechanism while in skin mode.
it was only happening on one ski; wouldn't last 5 min before it'd pop out again.

anyone else had any more mileage on these? any problems?...
James Jackson 29 Feb 2016
In reply to daWalt:
I've had this happen a couple of times with one of mine (including once this weekend), having skied on the every weekend (plus some other bye-days) since Christmas. I wonder if it's to do with snow buildup under the mechanism - I know this can cause pre-release on the toe piece so it could well be that the rear is susceptible too?

At least to fix it just requires stamping down on the brake again (note you don't need to hold the brake down while rotating the hell piece to tour mode so the brakes can be engaged while transitioning).
Post edited at 14:02
 inboard 29 Feb 2016
In reply to daWalt:

I've used mine for 5 days touring now with no issues as you describe.
OP daWalt 29 Feb 2016
In reply to James Jackson:

aye, snow under the mechanism was the first suspect; but it was happening far too often even after a thorough cleanout.
I was suspecting either:
the mechanism is sensitive to the tolerance it's made by (it's only just held in by design), and/or,
going steeply up hill was moving the unit (given it's 10mm flex travel) enough to make the think pop (it was only really happening going up steep and uneven ground)
only happened once on Sunday; which was major improvement over every 5 min on Sat......

I'v not fully looked over the mech to understand how it works, so I don't know how, or what, was pinging out of place.

as a side note; (in skin mode) I managed to get a fair bit of lateral heel movement, about a good 1", on an icy traverse:
The toe wasn't 100% locked; it looked like it was, but the lever was just short of fully cranked up. (ice in the lock slots)
James Jackson 29 Feb 2016
In reply to daWalt:

If you go exploring the mechanism, please let me know what you find. It looks like there's a small metal roller on the heel piece that engages with something on the locking mechanism. That tolerance looks a little small; I wonder if something is letting the 'something' slide back under the roller?

> as a side note; (in skin mode) I managed to get a fair bit of lateral heel movement, about a good 1", on an icy traverse:
> The toe wasn't 100% locked; it looked like it was, but the lever was just short of fully cranked up. (ice in the lock slots)

Yep I've had this too! Lining up the toe piece and getting walk mode engaged is tricky at first, but it rapidly becomes second nature. I have a fair few days on these bindings now and really like them (and the feel of skiing them too; happy heading down any terrain in them) - the brake thing can be annoying but for me it happens rarely enough that I don't mind. Tech bindings are wonders of engineering reductionism!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...