UKC

New Camp four is Awful. Need the old faithful back instead!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jack Humphreys 01 Mar 2016
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere that may have the old style five ten camp four in stock. After getting through 2 pairs of the old style and finding them amazing, i was shocked to find how bad the new one is compared to it! I just doesn't fit my feet like the older style. Why change something that is already the perfect approach shoe?
 1poundSOCKS 01 Mar 2016
In reply to jack Humphreys:

> I just doesn't fit my feet like the older style.

It's the perfect fit for my feet, couldn't be happier with them. Not everybody has the same fit.
 Offwidth 01 Mar 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Its not just about fit though is it? The old 5.10 designs offered a fairly unique family of flexible approach shoes almost perfect for dry scrambling and easy climbing applications (the shoes don't like acid peat swamp and tend to rot at the rand after a year of extensive use on boggy approaches to UK climbs).

I can't think of anyone else currently producing such shoes (Berghaus years back had a similar brilliant 'moccasin" shoe but also discontinued it). I have foot problems and it is one of the few types of shoe that don't leave my feet in pain after a long day on the hill. 5.10 under Adidas just ignored their fan base and did the same old thing as everyone else.
 1poundSOCKS 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Its not just about fit though is it?

No. They've got good rubber and they've got aggressive tread, so I find they give me confidence on mixed rock and mud/grass walk-offs. I don't really scramble much, and I'm not interested in climbing in them. They just suit what I want them for, and they're really comfy on longer approaches and descents. Especially important if you've had your climbing shoes on all day.

All I'm saying is, we don't all want the same product, some people will love them, some people will hate them. Adidas think the new ones will help make them more money.
 Kimberley 01 Mar 2016

I'm with you Jack, previous model was much superior. You still see the odd pair in shops and on ebay.

What size are you looking for?

Let me know if you come across a pair in sz 41 !
 ripper 01 Mar 2016

I got on pretty well with my old camp 4s, while accepting they were not built for everything (eg climbed VS in them, but also got soaking wet feet descending off Tryfan). They'll need replacing soon though... obviously I knew the new ones look a bit different and don't have so much rubber around the heel, but (apart from looks) in what way(s) are they such a radical departure?
 galpinos 01 Mar 2016
In reply to ripper:
From a walk around the shop before handing them back....

Stiffer and clumpier, like the Guide Tennies have become, so a lot less sensitive and I've be less happy climbing in them.

They obviously look rubbish now as well......
Post edited at 15:26
 gav 01 Mar 2016
In reply to ripper:

They're much wider, so don't fit my feet any more
 ianstevens 01 Mar 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> They obviously look rubbish now as well......

Nothing new there - the old ones looked awful as well.
 Offwidth 01 Mar 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Sure we dont want the same product. My old product has no alternatives, your new one has loads. Anyone who couldn't make money out of the cost ( cf robustness) of the old 5.10 range wants shooting.

I've never known a family of approach shoes have such a following, especially amonst US climbers. Even as a bumbly I could climb pretty hard in them.. in particular grit and granite VS cracks, about a grade below my limit.
 galpinos 01 Mar 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Well, the new ones look even worse!
 Timmd 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
Does that mean the nicely sensitive Guide Tennies no longer exist?
Post edited at 17:00
 SuperstarDJ 01 Mar 2016

Agreed. I loved my old pair, super comfy and very steady when scrambling. The fit of the new ones is very different and not good at all. I wore the old style to destruction. I'll be replacing these as soon as I can find something similar to the old pair.
 Offwidth 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Sadly yes.
 Timmd 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
Bugger, I've still got the original pair of my dad's which found their way into my clutches.

I guess I could get them resoled and keep gluing and sewing them back together again as bits come adrift, I have done a bit already.
Post edited at 18:13
 summo 01 Mar 2016

I hate mine too. They have gone from a model that was snug, flexible etc.. to something with all the properties of steel toe capped work shoe.

They are not first to desert a great product, I had a couple of pairs of the original El Caps , which were replaced my models with inferior soles and then the mescaletos.
 afshapes 01 Mar 2016

Just put some up for sale. ..older style side 9
 Mr Trebus 01 Mar 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

>Adidas think the new ones will help make them more money.

They did the same with the aescent, I loved previous versions with toe rands and two harness hanging loops. They have removed both on the latest version which is more fashion than approach shoe.
Removed User 01 Mar 2016

Beware of the last of the old style. I brought a pair, my fifth or sixth pair, so I wouldn't have to go to the new ones yet.
I have been very disappointed with the way this pair have lasted the quality is not as good as previously. I would expect 18 months to 2 years out of a pair but this pair looks a lot worse for wear after 12 months of using them twice week on Table Mountain .
J1234 01 Mar 2016

I am with you on this, my third pair are just coming to the end. No idea what I am going to replace them with, not the new model though.
 John Kelly 01 Mar 2016

Scarpa
 deacondeacon 01 Mar 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

Have to agree with that. Scarpa Crux are the king of approach/scrambling/via ferratering/easy climbing and dry hill walking.
Really nice to climb in and you can really crank the laces up right down to the toe. Good rubber, including over the toes, and you can even edge in them.
And this is from someone who always wore Camp 4's.
 RR 01 Mar 2016

I know not every body has the same fit. I miss the old one’s also badly.

Objectively seen they, 5.10 alias adidas, made one mistake with the new camp4 the lacing system. The old lace system was perfect to adjust. The new camp4 has only six adjust points. That’s not ideal for a climbing boot, but good for a short distance running shoe, gym shoe or city shoe.
And … besides that the new camp4 is built on the last of a running shoe.

As with the old Tennies once the dots got polished, just great. The new one’s feel like a “sabot” (in French, hoof in English?).

But what is a good alternative for the old Camp4? That is good to know from your experience with the old camp4. Please let me know. I haven’t found it yet. MFB what type Scarpa you mean, if I may ask.
I tried Arctyrjx approach shoe narrow, and not cheap. Does not grow on me.
 RR 01 Mar 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

Thank you! so Scrap Crux
 John Kelly 01 Mar 2016
In reply to RR:

Zen
 Offwidth 02 Mar 2016

I was told they were not as soft over the top of the foot as the old 5.10 range. Thats important to me as I need a shoe that won't pinch my bunions. If you think that information is wrong I'll be trying some on.
 deacondeacon 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm no expert on bunion compatibility but it can't hurt to try them on.
 1poundSOCKS 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Sounds like you just like to argue for the sake of it. Some people like the new one, some like the old one, there is no right and wrong, just accept it's subjective.

> Anyone who couldn't make money out of the cost ( cf robustness) of the old 5.10 range wants shooting.

Not really the point I made is it.

> My old product has no alternatives, your new one has loads.

I've tried on lots of approach shoes, and owned a few, never found one that fit as well and felt as comfy. Obviously you don't know which shoes fit me best.
 Offwidth 02 Mar 2016

It's about the really soft leather upper and 'sweet spot' flexibility of the rand... if they don't have that they will be no good for me.
 galpinos 02 Mar 2016

Is the rubber as "sticky" and are they as sensitive? I loved the old tennies to climb in, quite liked the Camp 4 but have been turned of by the new versions. I'd try the crux as they look like half tennie/half camp 4.....
 deacondeacon 02 Mar 2016
In reply to galpinos:

The rubber is just as sticky. Smearing sensitivity isn't as good, but edging is better. If I'm on a traditional style vs/hvs crack I'll often choose them over climbing shoes.
 galpinos 02 Mar 2016

Cheers.
Removed User 02 Mar 2016

Sportiva Ganda for me, 5.10 suck now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...