UKC

Fitzroy Jacket with Nikwax??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ralphie_coombs 01 Mar 2016
Do people recon Nikwax wash in is ok for a fitzroy jacket?
Its taking in a bit more water than id like.
In reply to Ralphie_coombs:

I don't know if it's 'ok' but I use it and haven't noticed any ill effects.
 afshapes 01 Mar 2016

I used it on my rab prime loft and it's great !!
 Welsh Kate 01 Mar 2016

Yeah, I treat my Alpamayo (female equivalent of Fitzroy) just like a waterproof when it needs a wash - Techwash, then if it needs reproofing TX Direct. If it's dirty you can always do a wash with detergent before thorough rinsing and Techwash (or pure soap powder) as detergent is a rather better cleaner.

thanks all.

Its in the wash now.

I've always preferred the spray ons (usually use Grangers). Wash with a jacket wash, then hang up, spray and tumble dry. That way you don't end up with every single thing on the jacket being equally waterproofed (which may or may not be your aim). You can also focus on particular areas like shoulders or waist which may wear off quicker.
Removed User 01 Mar 2016

I used it on my fitzroy, it was fine.
 NottsRich 02 Mar 2016

I use soap flakes on my Fitzroy, and then tumble dry it. It beads again like new, and the soap flakes cost pennies compared to Nikwax. I've done that a couple of times a year for 3 or 4 years now with no problems as far as I can tell.
m0unt41n 02 Mar 2016

I use TESCO liquid soap which is about 1/3rd of the cost of Nikwax Tech wash.

I have yet to understand what Nikwax puts into their Tech Wash In reproofer that makes it coat just the outside of a jacket with a water repellent layer but not the inside which would cause sweat to bead and not pass through.

Maybe it's the same magic that PHD uses on the materials they use for their jackets and bags that allows the 1000 down to float unconstrained instead of being packed in as all down is between two layers of materials.

But of course I also totally believe Paramo's claim that their magical pump layer can somehow push sweat out through a layer of water because its raining and windy. DWR beading is a concept for the office and light showers on the hills.

Once a year in winter there should be an outdoors clothing and equipment manufacturers exhibition which requires them to collectively use their products for at least 8 hours on the hill at night and in stormy conditions.
Then let's see them witter on about Waterproof, Breathable, Simple to use, Pump Layer etc.

L.A. 02 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n: Hold the headlines- Man speaks truth about Emperors new clothes.

In reply to m0unt41n:

> I have yet to understand what Nikwax puts into their Tech Wash In reproofer that makes it coat just the outside of a jacket with a water repellent layer but not the inside which would cause sweat to bead and not pass through.

It's never been sold as doing that. Really it's designed for lazy people with 3 layer shells that just need DWRing. As per my post if you want to know where your DWR is going then you need to use a spray on.

And I don't get all this talk about waterproofs not being waterproof. Are you guys deep sea diving or something? My Pro Shell has never leaked and I've been in some serious deluges. If you think water is going through Ptfe membranes please prove it.
 neuromancer 02 Mar 2016

You should wash-in your primaloft belay jackets if you actually plan to use them as primaloft belay jackets not everyday hiking warm kit (hint: get a fleece and a windproof or a polartec alpha).

The idea is it

a) coats the outside
b) coats the inside
c) penetrates and coats the primaloft

therefore when you put it on over your pisswrapped rime-encrusted goretex / softshell, it doesn't wet out as fast and stays insulating.

If you're wearing a belay jacket next to skin whilst being active (and so needing it to wick) you are doing it wrong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...