UKC

Chafing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Not pretty but an uncomfortable and potentially debilitating reality. So I've never had a major problem, but a tinge of it on my last multi day expedition. Going away for longer now and I want to prevent rather than cure so.. what are your secrets for avoiding the raw cheeks and thighs?

Vaseline, regular babywiping to get rid of salt/sweat crystals are already on my radar. Underwear recommendations? - I have the HH Lifa leggings but what do people wear under them, or do they?

Adam_Turner 02 Mar 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

A bit of a sore subject! Personally I wear underarmour shorts, close fit and extremely breathable and don't have any problems on expedition.

Plus getting a bit of air to the groin area helps. So don't tend to wear anything, temperature permitting, in my sleeping bag (lets hope you're good friends with your climbing buddies!)

On deployments where I've worked up a lot of sweat in the day, like you mentioned, it's really important to keep the area clean to avoid bacteria build up too.

I thoroughly recommend Lanacane anti-chafing gel.
 galpinos 02 Mar 2016

I use this for running:

https://www.bodyglide.com

(Not a joke, genuine product for runners, not anything dodgy....)

Not sure where your chafing is or how it's caused, but the insides of my upper thigh used to get really sore from walking/sport. TK Maxx had some quick-dry type Quiksilver boxers for about £8 a pair, they're the best thing i've ever tried. Don't know what they're called specifically, but one pair looks like the pair in the link below. The fabric takes a bit of getting used to, as it's a kind of silky/shiny thing, but works amazingly for stopping chafing and dries quick too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quiksilver-Mens-Boxers-Multicoloured-Multicolored/d...
 Mike_Bottom 02 Mar 2016

Second the Bodyglide! it the bomb

ive done a fair few ultras and used to get bad chaffing in intimate areas.... since changing from vaseline / talc to Bodyglide im a much happier man! Don't be shy, get in there and apply generously
In reply to Mike_Bottom:

Can you (or anyone else) tell me if there is a difference between Bodyglide and Lanacane?

I'm genuinely interested - one seems more expensive and marketed towards sports people - one seems to be cheaper and more readily available. Is it marketing hype or is there a real difference?

To the OP - sorry for temporary highjack.
 galpinos 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Eeyore:
No idea, I got a stick of bodyglide in my stocking (Santa hates chaffing too) and never looked for anything else.
Post edited at 13:20

Thanks all. Will definitely get some Bodyglide. These synthetic quickdry boxers look pretty good, the confusing thing for me is how I will incorporate it into my extreme cold setup. Would they go under base leggings? Or replace them?
Gilad N 02 Mar 2016

I'll second Adam Turner about on the Under Armour boxers - I use the Original 9" ones.
Put those as first on skin, so under the leggings or anything else you are wearing.

On multi days I take 2 pairs, rotate between them: wear one, wash the other and let dry, that way each gets 36 hours to dry. also wear a looser PJ's bottoms (or nothing) at nights.

Also make sure to regularly clean everything down there - pack a thick 1 gallon ziplock bag for a little basin, with a bit of soap to do the cleaning. a buff to dry it all and you are set - feel fresh at all times!
 Webster 02 Mar 2016

Iv got £30 (didn't pay that much) rab and arc'terycs boxers and they chafe like hell on occasions! stupid seam placements, you'd think they would get it right on such expensive garments... iv recently bought some running boxer shorts from decathlon for about £5 a pair and they are brilliant! they may smell more on a multi dayer than the above pairs (not been put to the test) but unless someone is sticking their nose where they shouldn't that is hardly a problem!
 Adam_Turner 02 Mar 2016
HowIn reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Thanks all. Will definitely get some Bodyglide. These synthetic quickdry boxers look pretty good, the confusing thing for me is how I will incorporate it into my extreme cold setup. Would they go under base leggings? Or replace them?

I would say it depends how cold, cold is? I've worn them under power-stretch bottoms and windproof softshell trousers but then also on their own under insulated trousers so it depends on what you are going to need. Remember though, you don't lose that much heat from your legs in comparison to your core.
 galpinos 03 Mar 2016
In reply to Adam_Turner:

It's a bit off topic but you do actually. I believe a there was some recent research showing heat loss through the legs was actually quite high (generally not much insulation/fat over the quads). It also debunked the heat loss from your head thing. I'll have to see if I can find it.
 nniff 03 Mar 2016

The £9/pair Decathlon boxers are really good - just threw my UnderArmour ones out as they won't get worn again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...