UKC

Walking in Torridon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Staples 05 Mar 2016
Hi everyone,

I am off to the Torridon area in June for a week on a walking holiday with my not quiet yet crippled parents. Any suggestions on some of the best day walks there are in the area?

One that I have my eye on is starting in Glen Torridon and walking round the back of the Liathach. Also an ascent of Beinn Alligin & Beinn Damph which gives us three days but not sure what other walks would be equally spectacular. Looking for mountain scenery more so than say coastal as we live in Dorset and have some amazing beaches down here. Happy to travel up to 2 hours so we may do a day on Skye in the cuillin.

Thanks
 DerwentDiluted 05 Mar 2016
In reply to David Staples:

Inveralligin to Diabaig is a great day, coastal but nothing like Dorset. Offers great views of the hills of Applecross. Logistics can be an issue without 2 cars.

Loch Maree and Beinn Eighe deserve some attention, if you walk between Liathach and Beinn Eighe do not miss the lochan under triple butress, Coire Mhic Fearchear(?) or a similar spelling.

BnB 05 Mar 2016
Any of the peaks surrounding incredible Coire Lair approached from Achnashellach station, only 45 mins from Torridon. Stunning views from the watershed of the Torridon giants. All of them on one day, however, is rather too big a day out for a family outing so go easy on mum and dad and enjoy the views. Sgorr Ruadh gives the best day out to my mind.

Slioch above beautiful Loch Marie is a superb peak. On the opposite side of the valley is the manufactured Mountain Path, a lovely half day out with great views of the back of Bheinn Eighe

An Teallach, which vies with Liathach for acclaim as the mainland's finest mountain, is only an hour way. But a long day on the hill.

Bheinn Bhan is surely the finest mountain below Munro status in Scotland. Visit its corries, reminiscent of the Canadian Rockies, from the foot of the Bealach Na Ba. return via the summit or the pass. Less than 30 minutes drive.

For the best of Skye you will need to drive over 2 hours and then face a long walk. Your shortest journeys would be to Sligachan for Coire a Bhaisteir peaks (serious route finding) or Torrin for Bla Bheinn and its smaller outliers (Belig, Sgurr nan Each and Garbhein all of which make good short day outings or a big day strung together).

I could go on but you won't go wrong with any of the above.
Post edited at 10:30
drmarten 05 Mar 2016

As mentioned above, Coire Mhic Fhearchair is stunning, approach from the Torridon road. If you don't want to ascend Beinn Eighe then you can then reverse your route (good path) and continue round the back of Liathach towards the midge infested car park at the bottom of Coire Mhic Nobuil. Get a decent day and you'll struggle to beat it, but remember the midge repellent/cream/mask/shotgun.
Removed User 05 Mar 2016

The mountain path from Loch Bad an Sgalaig off the A382 at GR NG856721 makes a nice round on good paths. You get a changing prospect as you progress. Grand.
 skog 05 Mar 2016

I agree heartily about Coire Mhic Fhearchair - if you have good weather and don't take the chance to visit it, you'll have missed out on the finest corner of one of the very finest areas in the country!

For the rest, you won't go far wrong with anything in the immediate area, really - all the above suggestions, and many more, are good.

Have a think what you'll do if it's pouring with rain, though - this is not a rare occurrence!

Applecross has quite a lot of pleasant short walks (e.g. here: http://www.gaelicplacenames.org/maps/map.html?g=NG711400 or http://www.gaelicplacenames.org/maps/map.html?g=NG703578 ), a couple of great beaches, a good cafe, and a great pub/restaurant, if you want more of a 'pottering about' day at some point.
 skog 05 Mar 2016

Thinking a little further on the weather, keep in mind that it isn't unusual for the weather to be poor on the hills, but quite good out to the West coast peninsulas to the North of Torridon. I know what you said, but you may have days where it's a choice between cloudy hills, or sunny beaches. Red Point, Opinian, Sand, Gruinard, and many others, can be good options on such days.

The key with Scottish holidays is to always be flexible, keep an eye on the weather, and have a variety of spare plans for different conditions!
 malky_c 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> The mountain path from Loch Bad an Sgalaig off the A382 at GR NG856721 makes a nice round on good paths. You get a changing prospect as you progress. Grand.

Worth noting that the road is being widened around there just now, so parking at the Red Barn is a little more awkward than usual.
 Mal Grey 05 Mar 2016

Basically, you can't go too far wrong with any of the walking! Its a truly stunning part of the world.

Assuming you're not going on the summits, many options have been mentioned, here are my faves.

Back of Liathach. Great walk, seem to remember a rough, boggyish bit in the middle, but it was 20+ years ago. Quite a long day, and involves a road walk to make it a circuit - but a rather nice road!

Coire Lair. One of my favourite places in the world, the wonderful stalker's track which climbs surprisingly easily to the corrie rim, beneath the towering flanks of Fuar Tholl, then suddenly opens out into this magnificent huge corrie, is where I'd have my ashes scattered if it wasn't for the fact that I don't want my ashed polluting such a place. For a circuit, head east over towards the Coulin Pass via the lovely spot of Easan Dorcha bothy, a great place for lunch (it basically a little shed by a beautiful stream), then south over the pass itself back to the start.

The little Mountain Nature Trail thing from the shores of Loch Maree is actually quite wonderful, and can be extended onto Meall a Ghiuthais.

Wandering around the headland north of Shieldaig is a very pleasant way to spend an hour or two, finishing up in the Shieldaig Hotel or the little cafe at the south end of the village. The views up the loch are to die for.

God, I love that area. Can I come?

OP David Staples 06 Mar 2016

Thanks everyone really useful to have all these options.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...