UKC

Hrness to spend a lot of time filming in?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samparsons 05 Mar 2016
I am planning on being sat in a harness filming for what could be a long time and all i have is a sport harness which will be very uncomfortable what do people suggest? I have tried looking for something different but cant really find anything?
 deepsoup 05 Mar 2016
In reply to samparsons:

I'd second the above. If you're going to be hanging for a long time don't mind the harness so much, get yourself sat on a bosun's chair. If you don't fancy spending that 50 quid you could make your own with some 1/2" ply, an old camping mat (for optional extra comfort) and a bit of rope/cord.
 TobyA 05 Mar 2016
In reply to samparsons:

I'm sure the other chaps are right, that a chair of some sort is the way to go if doing this professionally but the comfiest harness I've used due to the wide firm leg loops and waist belt is http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5779
 Oceanrower 05 Mar 2016
In reply to samparsons:

Have a look at the Petzl Avao Sit or Bod.

If it's good enough for IRATA it's good enough for anything.
 HeMa 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

The work harnesses (like Aveo) are comfortable... but not really suited for climbing.

If you want to get a harness that is comfortable to hang around for long durations and still be able to climb with them, have a look at real aid climbing harnesses.

Something like Ocun WeBee Quatro (or what ever is was called) felt really comfortable and not too restrictive whilst actually climbing. I'm used the WeBee 1 as my winter harness until I won another suitable harness from a raffle... so the WeBees will be used this summer for rock...

That said, the bosuns chair is the real way to go. Either buy, or DIY. Remember to still wear your harness whilst sitting in the chair and that is actually the primary safety you're on. The bosuns chairs is just above with a simple prusik, and should the prusik for the bosuns chair fail (or the chair), you'd simply drop a small length to your selected belay device (and perhaps a backup).

My normal "filming" belay device is a GriGri (and a fig. 8 on a bight is the backup), 'cause with just one ascender I can quite easily ascend the rope to a new filming position...
 Fraser 05 Mar 2016
In reply to samparsons:

I was looking into this a while back and came across this instructional video by Jon Glassberg of Louder Than 11, which you may find of use:

vimeo.com/71556259

In reply to deepsoup:

> I'd second the above. If you're going to be hanging for a long time don't mind the harness so much, get yourself sat on a bosun's chair. If you don't fancy spending that 50 quid you could make your own with some 1/2" ply, an old camping mat (for optional extra comfort) and a bit of rope/cord.

Yes, I always used a bosun's chair that I made out of 12mm ply. It was very comfortable. Just like sitting on a bench in space.
 muppetfilter 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:
The Avaeo is a crap harness, in their drive to make more cash Pretzl added a fixed strap so they can flog it as a fall arrest harness which means you cant move the legloops easily to get you legs comfy. The old Navaho is a vastly superior harness.
dont buy a seat .... make one !!!
Post edited at 14:30
 Timmd 06 Mar 2016
In reply to samparsons:

Metolius and Pink Mountain do some big-wall harnesses with ultra-wide padding, but a hanging seat is your best bet.
 davy_boy 06 Mar 2016
In reply to muppetfilter:

The avao sit harness that comes in separate top and bottom doesnt have the nasty fixed loops like the bod versions.
Still not a patch on some of the navaho harnesses although they did have one with fixed loops as well which was the worst harness i ever had to use.
To the op i would highly reccomend a petzl rig great bit of kit if you will be doing a lot of this type of work and as others have said make a seat and just clip it into your descender crab.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...