UKC

Highcliff Nab

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jasperpie 22 Mar 2016
Hi all. I indoor lead and top rope, but have no real gear (cams etc) to trad.

Is highcliff nab near guisborough any good to top rope (got 70m) and a f so are there decent anchor points or decent trees etc?

Many thanks if you can offer your thoughts.

Regards.

Chris
 Mountain Llama 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Jasperpie:

Hi Chris

It was a Nos of years ago I last climbed there but I cannot remember seeing any belay stakes and there are no trees adjacent to the crag.

Belays had to be setup using gear.

HTH Dave
 ebdon 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Jasperpie:

There are no trees being high up on the moors. you may be ok with some big slings but I think you may need some gear. its been a few years since ive been, from memory its similar in style to the nearby bigger nym outcrops (scudale etc. ..) if youve ever been to them.
 Theo Moore 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Jasperpie:

There's a stake above Magic in the Air area (or was ~2 years ago), it's quite far back so would need extending well for a top rope... the rock there is sandstone so be careful of ropes on soft rock.
 coreybennett 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Jasperpie:

their is a steak above magic in the air, their is also one above moonflower that is under a bit of grass but can easily be found.
 Max Clarke 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Jasperpie:

If I was you, I'd be tempted to head somewhere like the Wainstones. There are loads more routes up there that can be top-roped without much/any trad gear (several threads/blocks above the routes at the r/hand end of the crag).

As above, please be very careful about ropes rubbing on the edge of these delicate outcrops.
Jasperpie 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Jasperpie:

Thank you all for your messages - greatly appreciated. Might take the dog up and have a scout over the weekend but wainstones looks OK - looking for more like 15-20m+ but without the trad gear and few bolted sports routes I'm limited without venturing further afield.

Any recommendations for apps for routes and notes etc, got the usual my climb and BMC etc but looking for something like strada for climbing.

Anyway I will no doubt post again but if anyone's up at Rock Antics Aycliffe and after an anchor or someone to climb with just give me a shout. I'm there most other days. Lol
 Mike Conlon 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Jasperpie: Another consideration in repect of Highcliff is that the top of the main area requires respect. There is a narrow path which gets close to the edge and there have been accidents. I was about to suggest that you might make yourself known to members of the CMC (Cleveland Mountaineering Club) at Rock Antics on a Tuesday night but attendance will significantly drop off now that the clocks are about to go back. Members will be commencing the Tuesday night outdoor programme as of next week. If you are interested have a look on the Club website or fb page.
 guisboro andy 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Jasperpie:

As people have said there are stakes on the terrace but they are hidden in the grass.
As nocker has mentioned try looking at clevelandmc.com for info on local club activities.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...