UKC

Get signed up: Women's International Meet 2016

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Team BMC 22 Mar 2016
premier post photo
It's back after a 32-year long hiatus! North Wales welcomes the Women's International Climbing Meet 2016, brought to you by the Pinnacle Club and the BMC.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/womens-international-climbing-meet-2016

Over 80 women from the UK and beyond will be brought to North Wales for a week of trad climbing at the Pinnacle Club / BMC Women's International Climbing Meet 2016. The event will be a celebration of women's climbing and an opportunity to share experiences, learn from each other, get psyched and have fun – whatever grade you climb!

During the international meet in 1984, a bunch of the best and most enthusiastic women climbers of the day inspired by seeing the first British woman climb E5 and the first female ascents of Right Wall on the Cromlech.

When: 12-19 June 2016.
Where: Ynys Ettws, the Climbers' Club hut in the heart of the Llanberis Pass.
What: Climbing every day (weather permitting!), all meals provided, films, talks, goodies and a big party on the Saturday night.

Sign up now to be part of it this year. For further details visit: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/womens-international-climbing-meet-2016

Closing date is 10 April 2016.
 Babika 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Team BMC:

Wow! 32 years.....
I remember leading Puffin (4b) at Gogarth and being totally overawed seeing Catherine Destivelle a couple of metres to my right leading Run Fast, Run Free E5 6a.

Really inspirational to see so many women out leading on rock at all grades.
 hillynomates 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

I too was on Gogarth that week and was amazed at the casual way the women on the meet recommended Aardvark (E2 6a) to each other, which I had just seconded. It certainly inspired me to up my game
 RGriff 01 Apr 2016
Damn this sounds amazing and potentially excellent for my climbing/confidence...shame about the HS leading ability! Not sure I could guarantee that by summer...
 hillynomates 01 Apr 2016
In reply to Sto_Helit:

It looks like you live in Sheffield, so you should have lots of opportunity to get out in the Peak practising before June! The HS requirement is for those women wanting to be a host during the week and climb with the overseas guests. To apply to join the meet for the weekend you need to be able to lead competently *at your chosen grade*, whether that is VDiff or E5.
 slab_happy 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Sto_Helit:

You could always go to one of the regular Pinnacle meets as a prospective member:

http://pinnacleclub.co.uk/meets/

As long as you can lead trad, at whatever level, you're good. And the meet organizers are great at ensuring that everyone finds partners who are on for climbing at their level.

I'm a prospective myself and have been to various meets, and they have indeed been amazing and great for my climbing. Also (I saw your other post) quite a few of the Pinnacle members are based in the Sheffield area, so it'd be a good way to meet potential partners for casual climbing.
 climbingpixie 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Team BMC:

I've just gone to fill in the application form but it's asking for my BMC membership number. I have BMC membership as part of my CC membership (I think) - any idea how I find out my BMC number?
OP Team BMC 04 Apr 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:

You can email the BMC to find out: office@thebmc.co.uk

Or you can ring us direct at: 0161 445 6111

Hope that helps
 RGriff 04 Apr 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

Thanks, I really appreciate the info!
 climbingpixie 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Team BMC:

Sorted it this morning, thanks
 hillynomates 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Team BMC:

Latest on the applications front.

We've selected our overseas guests. We've got 20 women coming from close to home (Ireland), all over Europe and far away (Iceland, India, Mongolia, Japan and New Zealand). They cover all grades of climbing from around Hard Severe to E5, so we need a similar range of UK hosts to come and climb with them for the week. 30 places up for grabs! If you can't make it for the whole week remember there are 20 more places for the weekend.

It's time to get your applications in - the closing date is this Sunday 10 April!
 hazeysunshine 08 Apr 2016
In reply to hillynomates:

My application's in - I'm not volunteering to second E5 though ...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...