UKC

Ardeche area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rob123 25 Mar 2016
Hi
I am heading out to the Ardeche area in May,
Can anybody recommend some good campsites in the area, we want to be fairly near the Pont d'Arch as we plan to canoe the river as well.
I have just order the Rock Fax guide to the area, anybody recommend any crags in the area,
Finally has anybody done any Via Ferrata in the area, the only one I seem to have found looks like a commercial set up charging 40 euros each.
Many thanks
 Pete Houghton 25 Mar 2016
In reply to rob123:
Please take a few minutes to read this review of one campsite I had the terrible misfortune to stay at, and then DO NOT GO THERE.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g676151-d4770415-r209972336-Cam...

We found a much nicer campsite a bit closer to town after that, not quite so visually striking, but a damn sight quieter. Look in my profile on Tripadvisor there and you'll find it. They also have business with a canoe company just up the road who were great, they dropped off our boat the day before we wanted to do it, we just launched straight from the tent. Top marks.
Post edited at 10:17
 Pete Houghton 25 Mar 2016
In reply to rob123:
Also, if you arrive at the end of a few days of rain, or have a shower mid-trip, I recommend taking a hike to the Cow's Piss Waterfall.
Keep an eye out for genuine local lamb on menus as well - decent stuff.
Post edited at 10:30
 DerwentDiluted 25 Mar 2016
In reply to rob123:
We stayed at Camping la Rouveyrolle right next to the river. Would recommend it, handy for the good crags and good amenities.
Mazet and Chaulet are good enough crags to keep you busy for a few days and there are more close by.
Post edited at 12:06
Removed User 25 Mar 2016
In reply to rob123:

We stayed at Camping de l'ile c.2012, on the outskirts of town on the corniche road. It was fine, pretty quiet without all the pools, tennis courts and flumes etc that the other campsites seem to have. It's in a really nice spot by the river and seemed popular with folk who had brought their own boats. The owner was a nice guy who spoke very fluent English.
In reply to rob123:

I have stayed here, you just cross the river to the crag
http://www.camping-la-vignasse.com/indexa.php
 Stairclimber 25 Mar 2016
In reply to rob123:

It's several years since I ve been to the Ardeche, but I think you'll be better off staying near the crags on the Chassezac, at somewhere like Camping la Vignasse, and travelling over to the Ardeche for the canoe descent. It's wonderful to get out of your tent and wade across the river to climb without having to drive anywhere. Expect polish, sunshine and a great all round holiday.
rob123 28 Mar 2016
In reply to rob123:

Thanks all for the info, much appreciated
 GarethSL 28 Mar 2016
In reply to rob123:

Watch out for the naturist campsite along the river, quite an experience given that you pretty much land on top of it after turning a bend...!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...