UKC

footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gordo 26 Mar 2016
I am thinking of using a trail running shoe for running and any small hill walks / summer time mountain walks. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and how they found it ?

For winter and scrambling I use a pair of scarpa manta boots. these will be replaced shortly due to being slightly too tight on the width which has lead to my foot trying to roll when descending.
 Roberttaylor 28 Mar 2016
In reply to gordo:

I've been doing this for ages, most of my mates do exactly the same.

Unless you have weak ankles or are carrying an enormous, heavy rucksack (and even then, sometimes) I find trail shoes lighter, comfier and cooler than boots. The only time I wear boots now is when I'm also carrying or using crampons.

Go for trail running shoes over 'approach shoes', approach shoes are just a beefed up pair of trainers (so heavier, less comfortable and with worse grip) and seem to be designed for American approaches or scrambling rather than British approaches (rough tracks and bog).

Final tip, keep another pair of shoes in the car for the drive home for if your trail shoes get wet.
 Mountain Llama 29 Mar 2016
In reply to gordo:

I use these for trail running and walking most places in good conditions. Certainly feels easier, less sweaty, and less fatigue but just watch your ankles if your carrying a heavy rucksack.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-kanadia-7-tr-mens-trainers-213115

HTH Davey
Lessworkmoreclimbing 30 Mar 2016
In reply to gordo:

Trail running shoes have an added advantage for climbing, in that if you want to carry them up the route to descend in, they're generally lighter than other trainers. I've just bought some featherlight ones. I looked at 'approach shoes' but as stated they seem more for the US market and seemed very heavy. I suspect the lightest trail shoes might not be the best option for value/durability, though, so it depends what's most important to you.
 thedatastream 30 Mar 2016
In reply to gordo:

Yep, pretty standard here. A pair of Inov-8s for trail and fell running also do for long distance walking in summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...