UKC

Blizzard Survival Bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fiskavaig 02 Apr 2016
Anyone got experience of these? are they flimsy, do they wear well, any info please, Cheers
 HeMa 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Fiskavaig:

They are flimsy...

But a lot better than nothing.

I wouldn't expect them to last many outings. So not bringing them if I'm planning to bivy.

But they're small and light, so often find their way in the rucksack when I'm not doing roadside craggin'.
 Dr.S at work 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Fiskavaig:

Having spent a night in one, and a night in a normal plastic survial bag, the Blizzard bag is way more useful for a modest weight penalty. If I'm out on my own in winter and not carrying bivy kit then one tends to lurk in the bottom of my rucksack.

I'm not sure if they still do one but there used to be a 'Tube' version which would accomodate two people top and tailing - that combined with a bothy bag makes a very solid group emergency shelter option.

(conflict of interest statement - I've done some work with Blizzard developing products for the veterinary field)
 AlanLittle 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Fiskavaig:

I've spent a night in the snow in one, unplanned, and it was a lot warmer than a plastic bag or a survival blanket. It was pretty torn up afterwards though, where I'd had my feet on some branches for insulation, and even if it hadn't been I wouldn't have fancied my chances of getting it dried out and packed away again afterwards.

So I'd say pretty much a one shot option, and definitely for emergencies not for planned nights out. Whether it's a good option or not rather depends on how often you intend to be faced with emergencies.
 ScraggyGoat 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:
You can reuse, but once out of thier vacuum pack bulk increases dramatically, and they are not something you could reuse forever. Though I wouldn't say they are 'flimsy', certainly better than that. I've spent a few nights out to test and one unplanned and it's still going. I've tried repacking with a vacuum cleaner to help reduce volume, but it's not particularly successful. As mentioned above they can be a bugger to pack away in proper hill conditions.

As noted above blizzard now have a range of variants.

Performance wise I can testify that a billizard bag and a bothy bag over the top to keep the wind and snow out works well at around minus five for several hours.

I only carry both in winter when in a team of two operating in the more remote corners of Scotland, where should an mobilising injury occur both raising the alert and getting help could be time consuming. In a bigger party a bigger bothy bag is probably better.

Alternatively If you're after one as a light bivy no sleeping combo for a fast 'mission' certainly worth considering. Probably worth posting on the wanted section to see what offers you get.
Post edited at 21:08
In reply to Fiskavaig:

Survival is probably the key word. If you wear it out with it's intended use you're outdoor-ing wrong.

If bivying is on the cards you'd be better off getting a dedicated product.
 Dauphin 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Fiskavaig:

Done a couple of mountain marathons using one. Warm but v noisy. I was very happy with it. Not that flimsy, I'm a pretty rough sleeper; but you can't achieve the vhs tape size once you have opened it.

D
In reply to Fiskavaig:
Warm, but not underneath - still need some sort of mat for a planned bivvy. Noisy (like a crisp packet!). They get quite sweaty too as they're not breathable.

Re-usable a few times - prob used my old one ?8 times for lightweight bivvys over a couple of years, by which time has a few tears and not as good at lofting properly.

A pain to repack (though the company may do it for you for a moderate fee?)
Post edited at 22:17
 Brass Nipples 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Fiskavaig:

They are for emergencies, they are very warm for their weight. Use them as intended and they are a great backup should you get caught out.

m0unt41n 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Fiskavaig:

As the title says they are a survival bag and not a bivy bag.
For survival you might want to think about the circumstances its going to be used:

Injured, collapsed and you or someone you are with are or cannot move until MR comes.
A Blizzard blanket would better since you can get it around someone without disturbing them too much and you can check on vital signs. Whereas a bag is a sleeping bag and getting a casualty into that can be a bit of a trauma.

Cold, can get off hill. One of your party or you find someone etc.
Blizzard Jacket which will cover down to feet but for movement can be tied up.

In both cases go for the Orange option if you can.

My only connection is our MR team uses them as do a lot of teams.
 AlanLittle 03 Apr 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

> A Blizzard blanket would better since you can get it around someone without disturbing them too much and you can check on vital signs. Whereas a bag is a sleeping bag and getting a casualty into that can be a bit of a trauma.

Very good point. I did a DAV self-rescue course and the instructor was a member of an MR team. One session was a show & tell of the contents of everybody's emergency kit, and one lady had no space blanket. "But I have a bivvy bag and a belay jacket". "Ever tried to get a casualty with a broken leg into a bivvy bag?"
 Dell 03 Apr 2016
In reply to AlanLittle:

Easily done, cut it up with a knife.
The bivvy bag, not the casualty. (Unless it's a posh Goretex one!)
OP Fiskavaig 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Fiskavaig:

Thanks for all your replies, all very useful, and the sort of info i was after. I have Goretex bivy for planned nights out, but to heavy for all the time carrying. I carry old orange plastic bag for emergencies, the Blizzard weighs one hundred grams more, so will stick with plastic in summer, but seriously considering the Blizzard for next winter.
 ChrisH89 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Fiskavaig:
Worth noting they also do a lighter version ("active range" I think it's called) that weighs about 100g less than the regular one but is a little less warm. I tend to carry one year round as the weight difference between it and a regular orange bag is tiny.
Post edited at 12:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...