UKC

Traverse of the Rhinogau

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Leslie57 06 Apr 2016
I understand that starting from a station makes the route more accessible and easier to plan as a linear walk but this route misses out one of the real highlights of the whole traverse i.e. Moel Ysgafarnogod.

I started from the power station at Trawsfynnyd walking along the causeway - what a fantastic day out!!
 malky_c 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Leslie57:

I thought the same when looking at the route card just posted on here. In fact it misses out a lot of the high tops north of Rhinog Fawr. You can start at Llandecwyn station and still take them in though:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...
 toad 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Leslie57:

This is one of the few areas that I've consistently picked up ticks on the dog (not me yet, though a friend did). It's still my favourite part of Snowdonia, but something to be mindful of when you're out there
 Dave Williams 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Leslie57:

Good effort; well done!!

I spend a great deal of my time in the Rhinogydd these days - rock climbing rather than mountain walking - although the former does usually involve quite a bit of the latter just to get to the crags. The Moel Ysgyfarnogod - Llyn Corn Ystwc area is one of my favourite parts of the range (particularly as it has some excellent outcrop climbing which is in plain sight from the Tremadog crags yet virtually never visited.) As you well know, compared to other mountain areas, parts of the Rhinogydd feature some incredibly challenging walking. After numerous sack-laden falls into leg-scraping, ankle-twisting, heather-hidden rocky clefts, I can only express my admiration for those who manage to complete the whole traverse from Trawsfynydd to Abermaw in a single day.
 alan moore 12 Apr 2016
In reply to Leslie57:

Did this once about 30 years ago, inspired by Harold Dradso's Big Wals piece. Pre placed tent in cwm bychan. Car to Barmouth and a bus up to the north end. Think I hit the ridge at that stone circle that looks like a crown. Amazing walk, with lots of stop off's for climbing on craig Wion. Sadly, unrecorded and I have lost the photos. Something magic about wandering down out of the land that time forgot into the back streets of Barmouth...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...