UKC

Parking while staying at Pen y Pass YHA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 07 Apr 2016
What's the best strategy for parking while staying at Pen-y-Pass youth hostel?
Apparently they recommend the car park opposite! I know this is a nightmare to get into and v expensive. Are the lay-bys down by the PYG best, and how are they charged? We'll be arriving Friday evening and probably won't need to move the car until Sunday morning.
Cheers
In reply to pasbury:

The lay-bys just past the Pen Y gwryd on the Conwy side of the county border are free.
redsonja 07 Apr 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I'm not sure if it's still the same, but I used to work at pen y pass YHA, and guests got free parking at the car park opposite. we gave them a card to display in their car. You could give the hostel and ask if this is still the case.
 stubbed 07 Apr 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Park in Llanberis and get the bus
 maxsmith 07 Apr 2016
In reply to pasbury:

The youth hostel has around 5-10 parking spaces, if you are driving towards llanberis over the pass they are on the right hand side of the road just after the last yha building. I have always managed to park there..
 elliot.baker 07 Apr 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I intend on walking the snowdon horseshoe in May, parking at the car park here, will I be alright if I arrive around 7-8am or will it be full then already do folks think?

Thanks
redsonja 07 Apr 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

you should be fine at 7-8am, but don't leave it much later as they do fill up really quickly!
 Rob Morgan 07 Apr 2016
In reply to redsonja:

That is not the case any more unfortunately (or not when I was staying there back in Jan).
redsonja 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Morgan:

Oh, that's a pity- times change I suppose. thanks for the info
 blurty 07 Apr 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Give the hostel a call. as said above, they give you a laminated notice to put in your windscreen so you can park opposite for free (if there's space!)
 nough 07 Apr 2016
In reply to stubbed:

And of course, remember to drop off people and kit at the hostel before parking, to save on bus tickets.

In reply to elliot.baker:

In May, there are two bank holidays. Those weekends will have no available parking. You might have a chance on the other weekends.
 Sean Kelly 07 Apr 2016
In reply to pasbury:

There was a time when you walked to a hostel and arriving by car was considered very bad form!
In reply to Sean Kelly:

And life member cyclists were the bane of a wardens life!
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> There was a time when you walked to a hostel and arriving by car was considered very bad form!

not only bad form but you had to pay to park

and before that it was a stipulation that you had walked a mile, or cycled 4

llechwedd 08 Apr 2016
In reply to blurty:

> Give the hostel a call.

The YHA doesn't advertise a number for the hostel- I think there's now only a centralised booking. centre 'phone number

In the 'olden days' that hostel 'phone number was quite useful and probably saved a few call outs for the MRT. If you (I) were on the Glyderau and heading for an arranged lift at Pen y Pass, but ended up dropping down to Ogwen for any number of reasons, a message could be got to the person waiting at P y P via the hostel.

IPPurewater 08 Apr 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

Try 01286-870428. That is the number shown in the HI Hostels guide 2012.
llechwedd 08 Apr 2016
In reply to IPPurewater:

Thanks for that. I had the number on my previous phone , but it packed up and I couldn't retrieve any numbers.
 sleavesley 08 Apr 2016
In reply to pasbury:

It's been a while since I used to regularly get out in Snowdonia. Then I used to buy the season permit for its car parks.
I have just looked this up to see how much it is now and it's either £100 for all apart from Pen Y Pass Snowdonia National Park owned Pay and display parks or £250 including Pen Y Pass.
http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/visiting/local-information/car-parking

A little bit more than I think the £45/50 it used to be!
Basically 20 visits to any pay and display covers your cost for the £100 if your staying longer than 4 hours.

This doesn't really help in this instance but as you were staying for a few days if it was a regular occurrence the above may be considered if it was a shared cost with others (e.g them contributing to parking etc).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...