UKC

Hawaii (Maui) Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

So I am off to Maui one of the Hawaiian islands for a week and want to get some climbing in for at least a couple of the days. (going at the end of this month)
I can't find much information, does anyone know any good resources to get me started?
So far I only hear of bouldering and DWS.

Cheers
 andy healey 08 Apr 2016
In reply to John McKenna - Rockfax:

Hi John,

I'm going to Kauai for a week and trying to find similar information. You mind if I tag along on your thread as a shared-Hawaiian resource?

Happy to hear about bouldering and DWS as I will only have my shoes with me...
 AlanLittle 08 Apr 2016

Sign up on mountainproject and ask "20KN". He appears to do lots of new routing there.
In reply to AlanLittle:

Cheers!
Removed User 11 Apr 2016
Having had 3 weeks around the Islands, I think the general consensus is f*ck all climbing in any meaningful sense. The geology is just too young. Far better to just soak up everything else the place has to offer. Kauai in particular really blew my mind, there are some crazy untrodden treks I wish I had had time to explore.
Post edited at 00:04
In reply to Removed User:

Weirdly I just met up with Jeff Jackson, Editor of Rock and Ice Magazine, who happens to have moved to Maui quite recently - he seemed to suggest that the untapped potential of the islands was high and has begun to bolt routes. From the pictures I saw the quality looked amazing...

That said, I don't have his contact details to hand so it may be worth a quick message via the Rock and Ice contact page: http://www.rockandice.com/contact-us

As a quick aside, he did mention that he was never going deep water soloing there again after seeing a Tiger Shark swimming beneath him on his last outing.
 andy healey 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing: "after seeing a Tiger Shark swimming beneath him on his last outing"

that has to up the E-grade a notch or two...
In reply to andy healey:

I don't think he does much deep water soloing anymore...
 nclarey 12 Apr 2016

After several years of the main crags being legally off-limits they are now open again under certain conditions - I missed this news last year but it's great for anyone interested in climbing on Oahu and specifically at Mokuleia. Not directly relevant to those on Maui or Kauai but the folks here may be able to give advice on who to contact on the other islands:

https://www.facebook.com/HiClimb
 Flavio 14 Apr 2016

I have been to Hawaii before I was serious about climbing and had some spectacular hikes/scrambles in Maui. I hired a scooter to get around cheaply and tackle those narrow dirt roads.

If you don't find the climbing I would recommend doing the Olomana/3 peaks trail, not that hard but very exposed with amazing views which you will never forget! There are some in situ ropes too but were very worn when I did it.

Good luck and aloha!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...