UKC

Using uplift for blue and red runs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
First trip to Bike Park Wales today in vile conditions (which kept me off the mountains - my normal MTB stomping ground). The thing is, I had assumed the uplift was used by people on big, heavy, tricky to spin up hill, downhill bikes and that everyone using it would be hitting the black runs. Not so. While I pedaled up the hill then descended via some excellent red trails, uplift customers came down on the same, or blues! I mean blues; fun on a full sus enduro bike but a light weight cross country machine would have no probs. Whats going on? Are there just loads of lazy people biking these days?
 solostoke 12 Apr 2016
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

I'd rather they got a lift than stop in groups at the top of every uphill section for a rest...
 wintertree 12 Apr 2016

It's the same at our local place with a trails centre. Can't say I'm a fan of having a filthy dirty, large diesel vehicle running up and down a hill (on a long and windy road) all day long. Not exactly an Eco-friendly side to cycling...
 george mc 12 Apr 2016

Keeps them off our trails up here as they ain't fit enough for the hills
 DaveR 12 Apr 2016

Been to bpw a few times and only been for an uplift day once on my last visit. And it was great having the uplift, got so many more runs in, and I only do blues and reds. You don't go to bpw to get fit riding up the same ascent route all day long, plenty of other top quality trail centres in the area if you want to get fit riding up hills. And I doubt there's many people who only ever use the uplift service, but probably just use it occasionally as a treat to practice their downhill skills.
In reply to DaveR: I see your point and I'm not really criticising, it just didn't meet my expectations. Assumed uplift would be all Steve Peat or Rachel Atherton wanabees on massive travel bikes. I would say that the blue trails I did, which are used really well to link or finish some cracking reds, are fantastic and have a character completely different to blues elsewhere.

ChrisJD 15 Apr 2016

Old man heard to mutter "I don't believe it"

You are Victor Meldrew and I claim my £5.

> Are there just loads of lazy people biking these days?

Yes.
In reply to captain paranoia:

Dislikers: Rule 5.
 balmybaldwin 15 Apr 2016

I've been about 4 times, always for uplift I've ridden most of the blacks, all the reds, and the blues. it's like a mini alps experience (with worse weather) and great prep.

The Blacks are good, but I don't fly down them, the reds are my bread and butter, but the blues there are indeed lovely, especially the long new one (with the rest area lol!) and great fun to thrash down quickly. This is riding my "enduro" bike

I love riding cross country, and will often go on to do the Gorlech or the Raven at Brechfa they have beautiful interesting climbs (as well as some cracking descents)

The place is designed for uplift. If I were local I'd pedal up, but probably only once as part of a loop each ride.

What ever you do don't buy second hand minibuses from them

In reply to ChrisJD:

Rumbled!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...