UKC

Andorra coma pedrosa

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bharryb 14 Apr 2016
Hi all

Looking at climbing coma pedrosa at the end of may. I hear it is the bedt time to climb for weather, scenery and visibility. However the avalanche risk can be high apparently.

I've got a lot of good experience now with crampons and ice axe in the lakes, Wales, alps and scandanavia but always when avalanche risk was low.

Does anyone have experience climbing this mountain at this time of year? Any advice?

I am taking some friends. Some who are experienced on the hill and others less so. All the guide books say good climbing from may and that it is non technical but wondering because I have a couple of less experienced I should turn around at the snow line.

Thanks for any tips!
mysterion 14 Apr 2016
In reply to bharryb:
Not walked up there but I was in that area a few months back and it looked like the east-facing slopes had a big cornice. There is a refuge on the way up so ask the guardian what they think then make up your own mind.
Post edited at 11:06
 goatee 14 Apr 2016
In reply to bharryb:

Expect the snow line to be down at around 2000mtrs which would mean 900mtrs with crampons etc. If you've little experience then something lower would be advisable. The snow is likely to be icy in the morning and soft after. Its unlikely the huts will be manned that early in the season.
bharryb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to goatee:

Ah ok thanks. The hut will not be manned when we are there I have checked the opening times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...