UKC

80 years of trig points - what to do with them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 18 Apr 2016
Should now defunct trig points be removed as they fall into disrepair over the coming decades? They serve no purpose for cartography now.
Lusk 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> Should now defunct trig points be removed as they fall into disrepair over the coming decades?

No...
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=638910

Adopt them.
 Tom F Harding 18 Apr 2016

No but a charitable organisation should take responsibility for them going forward - the OS is on a very poor financial footing as it is. It's maintaining both the 1:50k and 1:25k loss leading mapping scales for the benefit of walkers so a network of useless trig points is asking too much. A charity might even be able to reinstate and restore some.
 FactorXXX 18 Apr 2016

Interesting article on the BBC Website: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-36036561
 Monk 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Tom F Harding:

I have to admit that I'd let most of them rot and/or remove them. Strange and unnecessary lumps of urban style concrete don't really belong on a mountain in my mind.
In reply to Monk:

Yes, agreed. Ideally remove the lot.
 Tom F Harding 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Monk:

I wouldn't be against their removal either but its the letting them rot part that is causing some of the issues - as I understand the OS has responsibility for them so if while in the process of rotting one fell over injuring someone they would be held in some way responsible. The cost of a program of removal would be huge, expensive and pretty unpopular. Who would pay for it? Again maybe a charitable organisation could take over the ownership of them and carry the work out, be that; restoration, maintenance or removal.
 Rick Graham 18 Apr 2016

By that logic, should we sue the Pope if Hadrian's Wall is not removed soon
 Mark Kemball 18 Apr 2016

Slightly of topic, but is there a record set for the greatest number of people standing on a trig point simultaneously? (Photographic evidence needed!)
 d_b 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Mark Kemball:
an inverted human pyramid would be the best approach.
Post edited at 22:06
 marsbar 19 Apr 2016

I think they are part of our history. Its amazing the way the country was surveyed and mapped and I think it would be a shame if they were all removed.
 summo 19 Apr 2016

> Should now defunct trig points be removed as they fall into disrepair over the coming decades? They serve no purpose for cartography now.

base mounts for mini wind turbines?
 Sharp 19 Apr 2016
In reply to summo:

> base mounts for mini wind turbines?

With in built usb chargers obviously, 'tis the 21st century after all.
Moley 19 Apr 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> I think they are part of our history. Its amazing the way the country was surveyed and mapped and I think it would be a shame if they were all removed.

I agree, they contributed to the most comprehensive and accurate mapping in the world at the time, a part of history and something of a memorial to those involved. Admittedly most are unsightly lumps of concrete in beautiful places but they all contribute to our country's history, as do other historical man made constructions - they don't all have to be grand to be worth preserving.
 summo 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Sharp:

> With in built usb chargers obviously, 'tis the 21st century after all.

4/5g, free wifi, for people's selfies.
Rigid Raider 19 Apr 2016

> if while in the process of rotting one fell over injuring someone they would be held in some way responsible.

In one small sentence you sum up the whole idiotic arse-covering elfin safety obsession in the country. How likely is it that a trig pillar could become detached from its base unnoticed by anybody who leaned on it and become unstable enough to topple over and crush somebody's toes?

Dave Hewitt 19 Apr 2016

If trigs were removed in fairly short order - not very likely - then there could well be navigation problems arising, given that they'd still be shown on maps that people would be using for years to come. This would probably create problems both for lowland walkers and also on the bigger hills - eg I've come across several people who have been puzzled in cloud by the absence of a trig that was shown on their map and which they'd been aiming towards.

It's only a few years since I last met someone who was scratching their head looking for the Schiehallion one, and that's been gone something close to 30 years. It would be interesting to know what the rescue teams reckoned about trig removal - I seem to recall some comment a few years ago when this came up before, and whichever team it was wasn't keen, as it might create extra work for them.
 summo 19 Apr 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> I think they are part of our history. Its amazing the way the country was surveyed and mapped and I think it would be a shame if they were all removed.

would agree, there are plenty other constructions on the hills, just south of haweswater there are towers used as guides (not sure how), when a pipe was tunnelled underground South from the reservoir to take water to Manchester. Abandoned shooting butts, huts, big stone sheepfolds, ruined buildings etc.. it's part of the mountains cultural history and if stuff isn't dangerous to people or hazardous to the environment it should be left. The hills as they are now are engineered by man anyway, so removing some bits of history isn't really restoring them to their natural condition.

Shani 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Monk:

> I have to admit that I'd let most of them rot and/or remove them. Strange and unnecessary lumps of urban style concrete don't really belong on a mountain in my mind.

It is for similar reasons I suggest we take to Stonehenge with lump hammers - unnecessary stone constructions that don't belong in a open land...
 john1963 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Shani:

How would I know it's time for lunch, I'd get very hungry if they were missing.It's like visiting an old friend definitely better than stopping at a Summit cairn smelling of p..S.
 Mal Grey 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Mark Kemball:

There's something reassuring and traditional in UK hillwalking that makes a trig point a reassuring sight, but I'd not be averse to them disappearing. I'd probably rather they stayed though. Strange to think this way really, as I hate all the crosses, plinths, clutter etc on foreign summits, but have never once resented a lump of ugly concrete!

> Slightly of topic, but is there a record set for the greatest number of people standing on a trig point simultaneously? (Photographic evidence needed!)

No evidence, as it was in the days before phone cameras, but we managed 9 on one as students. This was on the way to the pub, on the way back it was more like 3.

rossn 19 Apr 2016

Cost a fortune to remove them. Either leave them alone or tip them on their side and let them erode naturally or maintain them. I personally wouldn't like to see them go.

R
 Fat Bumbly2 19 Apr 2016
In reply to rossn:

Munro baggers of a certain age will be only too aware that trigs are good at disappearing.
llechwedd 21 Apr 2016

I'm surprised that the O.S. has not thought of marketing/licensing scaled facsimiles of the trig point plate- There is presumably a ready market . I'd imagine it would be a simple matter to reproduce the details of the 'missing' ones.
There are all those people who propose marriage next to one, the'final hill' list tickers, the hill we put dad's ashes on, the 'I climbed Ben Nevis' etc.

I suppose a plaque sails close to the territory of people who collect nameplates off old trains. But t'd be a bit more classy than those oversized letter spelling 'LOVE' that acquaintances have on their shelves.
 Mattilda 21 Apr 2016

They are mounts for a theodolite, so if you are into dark skies Astronomy how about CNC machining an adapter mount for a telescope? Should be an easy exercise and encourage some good walks (or even extreme Astronomy if you climb up a route to get to the trig point!)
abseil 21 Apr 2016

> Should now defunct trig points be removed....

No. If we touch any the aliens will invade within a couple of years.
 Trangia 21 Apr 2016

No they should be preserved as monuments to an incredible feat of accurate surveying long before the development of modern electronic survey aids.

Same with Stonehenge, the surveyors managed to position that with incredible accuracy to catch the Solstice sun.
ultrabumbly 21 Apr 2016
In reply to abseil:

will there be a cutscene with a rambler throwing a walking stick up into the air above the trig point?
abseil 21 Apr 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

> will there be a cutscene with a rambler throwing a walking stick up into the air above the trig point?

Only if there's a movie. But I think the aliens, when they arrive, may single the movie makers out for special treatment so they should be very careful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...