UKC

First Ascentionists Wyndcliffe Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 19 Apr 2016
Does anyone happen to know who put up the fairly recent 7b Timmy's Poorly Hand?
What about the bolted finish of Empire and Revolution?

Thanks.
 cha1n 19 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:
No idea but if this is to do with the guide update, it'd be good to have the start of TPH clarified and note that being tall makes it 7a ish.

*EDIT* to be fair, the 6c's are all probably harder on this wall but I can imagine it being harder if you're short or we used the incorrect starting holds (very possible).
Post edited at 11:06
 Xavierpercy 19 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:
John Corber did Timmys Poorly hand

hms 19 Apr 2016
In reply to cha1n:

I tried it straight up and couldn't even get off the ground! From other's comments, an approach in more from the side makes it MUCH easier.
 cha1n 19 Apr 2016
In reply to hms:

We started with our right hand on an obvious large hold, it was still a burly foot by your hand move but OK. If it's not in then you'd really have to have your blinkers on as I don't think it was even a metre of the centre line of the bolting but I do have bad memory. I do know that I wouldn't have used a hold that's clearly off route.

As I say, if specific starting holds are detailed then it'll be easier to make sure you're doing in the way the FA did.
 Ian Parsons 19 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Is it absolutely certain that the bolted finish of Empire and Revolution isn't the original route? Or, to put it another way, has the description in the 1997 guide - "Gain the first bolt easily; then make hard moves to the second. Finish direct." - been shown to be inaccurate? I've no idea, and presumably something prompted the change from one edition of the guide to the next.
OP bpmclimb 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Interesting. I can see why some climbers might feel the need to sneak off sideways - that's where the hardest moves are IIRC - but then to make that the main route description wouldn't be on. There must be some other reason, you would think.
OP bpmclimb 19 Apr 2016
In reply to hms:

> I tried it straight up and couldn't even get off the ground! From other's comments, an approach in more from the side makes it MUCH easier.

Although how one would do that without sharing holds on neighbouring routes I don't know - even the direct line looks pretty squeezed-in.
 whenry 19 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've always thought that the bolted finish was the original line - I don't think alone with that view. I bumped into the chap responsible for the new bolt a week after it was done, and if my memory is correct, he thought that the original was supposed to go straight up - going into the corner always seemed like cheating. Unfortunately, I can't remember who bolted it!
 Ian Parsons 18 May 2016
In reply to whenry:

Just noticed this from FA John Hartley on the CC website; scroll down to penultimate entry. It certainly seems to confirm that the route always finished direct.

http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/information-summary-list/new-routes-archive/...
 whenry 19 May 2016
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Thanks for confirming, Ian - good to know I've not been misleading people on that route!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...