UKC

Kalymnos this summer...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey all.

First post on the forums here so hello - it's good to be part of this! Dunno if this is the right place tpo be posting this but here goes!

I'm looking to get away for a few weeks this summer to Kalymnos and get a few weeks climbing done before going back to university in September. The only problem is that I don't really have anyone to go with. I was wondering if anyone is planning on making a journey out there at a similar time - July/August - that I could maybe join up with, climb, share costs for accomodation, etc? I climb a 6a to 6c and really looking to improve on this, I have a rope and rack and I'm willing to climb with anyone and help even out numbers. If anyone is heading that way and wants an extra partner, or could help meout with any information in any shape or form I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you!

Michael
 snoop6060 20 Apr 2016
In reply to michaelofthegraham:

It'll be properly hot in July/August. There will be a few hardcore euro types climbing but doubt many Brits would be keen on it, even in the shade.
 tjekel 20 Apr 2016

ok - consider me a 'hardcore euro' and someone who has spent quite a few extended periods in summer there. we had three or four days in eleven visits where climbing was not fine due to temperature.

on all other days it was possible to climb provided you looked for shade and chose your sector accordingly. quite few sectors have been opened recently that allow afternoon climbing as well.

... it is reasonably easy to find climbing partner visiting glaros bar or the bakery in armeos. so if you don't find someone here, still go.
 Garrouli 21 Apr 2016

The katabatic winds which are known as the Meltemi that rattle through the agean islands help keep things cool when the tempeartures are soaring in the summer. And all the crags will be nice and quite......
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Garrouli:

> The katabatic winds which are known as the Meltemi that rattle through the agean islands help keep things cool when the tempeartures are soaring in the summer. And all the crags will be nice and quite......

..... though of course last summer it hardly blew at all,

Chris
Andy Gamisou 21 Apr 2016
TrueIn reply to snoop6060:

> It'll be properly hot in July/August. There will be a few hardcore euro types climbing but doubt many Brits would be keen on it, even in the shade.

It'll certainly be warmish. But it's often breezy, and in the shade not too bad at all - and there is lots of shady options. Spent the last 10 years climbing somewhere significantly hotter than Kaly and we manage OK (ish), even in July/August. You just need to plan appropriately.
 climberchristy 21 Apr 2016

I'm another who has climbed in Kaly in August and found it fine. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a lover of the heat, but as others have said there are numerous options to climb in the shade. Don't be put off. You'll love the place!

Thanks for all the tips. I'm also someone who is quite the heat lover, so while the weather doesn't deter me, the notion of arriving there and not finding or meeting anyone to team up with is a little off putting. Are there any specific sites or places that I can find climbing partners or is anyone needing a plus one? Are there any cheap hostels or climbing accomodations where I can stay and hopefully meet folks? As I said, any help and info is happily a nd gratefully received!
 GridNorth 22 Apr 2016

Notices can be posted at the Glaros Bar and Kalymnos Adventure Centre but as others have said it will be VERY hot.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...