UKC

Tensile tree tents- any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezzah 22 Apr 2016
Hi all,

Has anyone used these tree tents before? Do they actually work?
http://www.tentsile.com/collections/frontpage/products/stingray-tree-tent?v...

cheers
Jez
 GarethSL 22 Apr 2016
In reply to jezzah:

No, but I'd sure as hell be willing to find out!

Nice find! Haven't come across anything like that before.
 BrendanO 22 Apr 2016
In reply to jezzah:

Damn. Something else I have to resist buying...
 d_b 22 Apr 2016
In reply to jezzah:

I haven't seen that brand before but they look similar to the hennesy hammock, which gets rave reviews from people who have used them.

Every time I get tempted by this sort of thing I have to remind myself that I do most of my camping in areas where there aren't any trees.
OP jezzah 22 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Yes, me too. But this is more for work in a school where we could put them up (worry about the Risk assessment form later!) in the grounds... and they may well get borrowed from time to time!
 Flinticus 22 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Yeah, and where there are trees they are usually plantations of fir: too dense and branches too numerous and low.
 marsbar 22 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I have to remind myself that a little glass of laphroig by the campfire and a tent that isn't on the ground might be a dangerous combination!
 mcanuda 23 Apr 2016
In reply to jezzah:

Want want want! Looked at them a couple of times - looks like a really cool idea but a bit pricey.

Where were you thinking of getting from?
 john arran 23 Apr 2016
In reply to jezzah:
From a viewpoint of having spent a lot of nights in hammocks, double hammocks and portaledges I'm pretty sceptical that this is anything more than a novelty. 3 Hennessey hammocks if there are good trees, a 3-person tent if there's flat ground. Both will give better night's sleep without disturbing one another every time someone rolls over.
Post edited at 17:17
 solostoke 23 Apr 2016
In reply to jezzah:

As an avid hammocker myself it is considerably colder than camping on the floor. I couldn't believe it the first couple of times until I sorted out a closed cell mat that would stay put underneath me. I'm guessing these would suffer from the same cold air underneath you albeit maybe not quite as badly as a hammock.
 marsbar 23 Apr 2016
In reply to solostoke:

I guess they might be aimed at warmer climates?
 Siward 24 Apr 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Probably good (if you ignore the instructions and pitch them high up) if there are bears about!
 d_b 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Siward:

Reminds me of the advice about how to tell the difference between black bears and grizzlys that I read on uk.rec.walking about 15 years ago...

"If you are being chased by a bear then climb a tree. If it is a black bear then it will climb up after you and eat you. If it is a grizzly then it will just knock the tree down."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...