UKC

Knoydart - request for Beta please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Apr 2016
Due to visit at the end of May on a flying visit, so could someone advise 1) how long to drive from Glasgow Airport to Kinloch Hourn, Google Maps suggest 4 hours - is that right? 2) then how long to walk to Barrisdale - 2 - 3 hours or so? and 3) (and the real question) what is the probability of midges being too unbearable to camp below, say, 3 - 400 metres.
 buzby 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

the times seem about right although its been a long time since I was there last, for the record the midges were the worst I've ever encountered anywhere. Barrisdale bay is perfect spot for them. you might get lucky if the bothy isn't full but when we were last there it was, and after several hours we left camp and hiked halfway up lardhar bheinn just to get some respite.
 kwoods 22 Apr 2016

4 hour drive seems about right. Glasgow Airport helpfully leaves you on the right side of Glasgow as well. Long, slow road from the Glen Garry turn off into Kinlochhourn though, worth 40 mins on it's own at least?

I've usually done the coastal walk in about 2 and a half at a pace, 3 hours more easy going.

Risky with midges but could be ok. The weather could be settled enough that they are ravenous right up to the summits. There isn't really a max altitude in itself in my experience, it's more to do with whether the wind and sun sees kindly enough on you to keep them away. But you have Barrisdale bothy to get some sanctuary should the worst happen. I also think a head net (and long sleeves) is simply one of the best purchases you could make for any Highland summer camping trip.
 Sean Kelly 22 Apr 2016
No need to drive to Kinloch Hourn Rob. Only drive as far as Fort William, then catch the return train to Mallaig (much cheaper than driving) and you will experience one of the best train journeys in the UK. Ferry across to Inverie, about 20/30 minutes and stay at the private hostel (large wood-burner in communal room, and separate dorms), about a mile away. (I took my bike over). Really easy walk on a good track to Mam Barrisdale, and left or right at the top for either Ladhar Bheinn, or Luinne Bheinn/Meall Buidhe. I've walked into Knoydart numerous times but this really is a memorable way of travelling into what is quite a remote area. Inverie has a superb pub (own brewery and excellent seafood restaurant) and the local cafe also has a bookshop attached. Even the lady at the local shop/post office is a mine of useful info. Magic!
Midges are not really a problem in May, especially if you avoid camping.
Post edited at 20:03
 BnB 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

This is a wonderful suggestion but if time is short and Kinlochhourn your objective, then by car is actually only 3.5 hours from Glasgow airport.
llechwedd 23 Apr 2016

> Due to visit (and the real question) what is the probability of midges being too unbearable to camp below, say, 3 - 400 metres.

For Knoydart, CamelBak have an adapter kit allowing hydration and nutrients to be delivered by i.v. line, thus obviating the need to lift your midge headnet to feed.

Level 4 Tena pads minimise exposure of the nether regions and are less expensive than a urinary catheter.

In reply to llechwedd:

That is not helpful! I am/was looking forward to it...
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Yes all that but why drive to To fort bill? the train from Queen st is a through service, 5.5 hr and even more of the beat views

You might be alright. We went in May a few years back, and had the almost unheard of combination of perfect weather and no midges!

The walk along loch hourn is worth doing for its own sake.

I don't think I can ever go back, ive used up my knoydart luck for one lifetime. .
!

Hope you get it as good

Cheers

Gregor
 Simon Caldwell 25 Apr 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

When we were last there, 20th May 2013, it was reasonably good weather and the sort of conditions I'd expect to be midge hell (light winds, a lot of cloud) but we had virtually no midges - I've got photos of us sat outside the tent at Barrisdale at about 8.30pm without even a midge net.
 kwoods 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Incidentally I spent that entire month (May 2013) out on the hills, and received my first midge bite of the season, 9pm or so Tuesday 28th May, sitting at Inveruglas on a grey and millpond-still evening. Felt the bite of one single midge and thus was dashed my hopes of getting through May without seeing a single one! It was only one, though. That spring was really cold as I remember, with a week or two of freezing easterlies in April or so?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...