UKC

Driving to/around Llangollen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 seankenny 24 Apr 2016
I'm thinking about visiting the Clwyd limestone crags around Llangollen - something a bit different from the usual haunts. Google reckons it's about the same London - Dinbren as London - Stanage, but usually I find the times it gives are a little optimistic.

So, a question for the locals/regulars in that area, are there any traffic blackspots I need to be aware of? Does Llangollen itself get snarled up with traffic once the day gets going? Am I likely to get caught in traffic once I leave the motorway and hit the A5?
 JayK 24 Apr 2016
In reply to seankenny:
Depends what time/day you are going. If you are heading on a Saturday morning/Rush hour Friday evening/bank holiday weekend/start of a school holiday the A5 is busy as soon as you get off the M54 at Shrewsbury pretty much all the way to Chirk. It then runs OK until you reach Llangollen which usually moves at snails pace.

A clean run from Birmingham can take 1 hour 45 but a recent frustrating Saturday morning has taken me 2hr30.
Post edited at 19:23
 wynaptomos 24 Apr 2016
In reply to seankenny:

Agree with previous post about the holiday traffic on a friday evening but it's only likely to become a problem when you reach Llangollen itself. You could avoid that by turning off near Chirk and go through Cefn Mawr and Trefor - it's no further in distance.
 Garston 24 Apr 2016
In reply to seankenny:
Great choice, so many crags and such a fantastic venue and then drop down into llan in the evening to the corn mill for a beer by the river. In fact this is exactly what I did yesterday, 8 hours at worlds end my local crag and we had no idea where the time went. If you need any help just yell although there's so much choice at worlds end I haven't even attacked the others apart from Trevor quarry
Cheers Chris
 Rob Davies 25 Apr 2016
In reply to seankenny:

The tip about going via Cefn Mawr, if the traffic on the A5 is bad, is sensible. Llangollen can be busy with tourists on a summer weekend, especially when the Eisteddfod is on. But you are more likely to have trouble negotiating the narrow lanes than with congestion.

The Eglwyseg crags can catch the wind at times, but most are good for afternoon/evening sun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...