UKC

New shoe? Katana Lace or Miura Lace?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ThoseJakes 25 Apr 2016
Hi all, I've been climbing in Futuras for the last year and a half, and recently they've become more uncomfortable to climb in. I can't bare to wear them longer than 5 mins, either my feet have grown slightly, or are less used to them because I'm climbing less. The pain is pretty unbearable so I think it is time for a new shoe.

Whatever the case, I'm thinking about going back to some shoes with an edge, and the Katana Lace and Muira Lace have caught my eye.
I'm a street size 43 and I'm wearing size 41 Futuras so definitely want a bigger size. I've tried on some 42 Muiras and they feel alright, but haven't been able to find a pair of Katana's to try on and they look good too.

What do you think would be better for me? I'm mostly indoor bouldering, plus a bit of lead and the occasional bit of trad.
Thanks.
valjean 26 Apr 2016
In reply to ThoseJakes:

the one that fits....

those two shoes are completely different in fit

muira lace - narrow
katana lace - wider that muira laces

i wear 42s in sportiva hiking boots, and i take a 40 in katana laces and that is a fairly comfy fit, maybe not an all day trad multi pitch shoe at that size but a good compromise for overall performance for me
 Dandan 26 Apr 2016
In reply to ThoseJakes:

I can't comment on sizes but you are certainly heading in the right direction for comfort, I have a pair of futuras that, like you, I can barely stand to wear for 5 minutes at a time, my miura laces are half a size larger and I can wear them all day.
In reply to valjean:

Well, my own experience partly contradicts yours, just goes to show... the OP should try before he buys....

I have recently owned Futuras, Miuras, Katanas and Miura VS and find the breadth of fit pretty similar on all of them. They all have different shapes / degrees of aggression / flexibility to suit differing rock types / styles of climbing but they are all pretty comfortable on my broad feet.

The Miura VSs and Futuras are both aggressive and keep their down-turned shape (due to the P3 platform) - best suited for limestone sport and bouldering. The Katanas velcros are the most relaxed - good for grit and all-day use. The Miura lace-ups start off aggressive and precise but rapidly soften and relax - initially good for sport and slate, but after a few months only really good for trad / grit and all-day wear.

Size-wise, my street shoe is 46 (UK11). I take 43 for a tight fit in all La Sportivas, apart from slippers such as Futuras which I take in a 42.5.

AlanLittle 26 Apr 2016
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

Katana Laces are definitely wider than Miura Laces, I had them both in the same size and measured them. Miuras fit me better; Katanas hold their shape better, especially the downturn, because of the p3 whatever-it-is-thingy.

That might be a factor if comfort is a priority; Miuras become very comfy whilst retaining decent performance; Katana Laces however well broken will continue to maintain pressure on the ends of the toes.
 neuromancer 26 Apr 2016
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

La sportiva say themselves

Miura VS > Katana Lace > Miura Lace > Katana VS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...